The worst of the worst western handles...who makes them?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same Eitan? If yes, tell us about your Denka F&F. That knife is one of the best looking TF gyutos I've seen.

[video=youtube;-1mOO4Q37sE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1mOO4Q37sE&t=16s[/video]

Oh no no no sir, different Eitan, sorry do disappoint, I don’t own a TF Denka
I do however have a couple of lovely yo shigs🤣

I rehandled one of those cheapest TF with resin wood scales. If one would want to, one could consider the construction pretty genious, forged down thin flat tang and mount scales a little "proud" on the tang. Pretty much no grinding/polishing needed for a (fairly) functional handle. It's ok to like different.. Maybe he manages to meet a demand with that line and his customers are happy. Some will be less than thrilled with the western knifemaker typical approach of epoxying plastic infused woods together with all kinds of liners, and prefer the more traditional approach of natural wood and rivets on a neatly forged blade, shaped with "clean lines". Different strokes.. There's quite a few that like to use the simplest raw ho-wood wa handles with all their qualities, and I can usually relate to that too, even if it's not my preference. Also, there's the allure of traditional craftsmanship. I met other makers at a show, many of their work I didn't care for much, but I could definately see the charm of their knives/craft and understand what their customers valued in their work.

I don't buy a lot of Yo handle knives. I did get to use a T-F Nashiji and it convinced me that when I order mine it will be a Wa. I don't do the whole re-handle thing. I have not met a Wa handle that I couldn't live with, yet. Only two fingers on the handle in a pinch grip anyway. :p Poor fit is not the issue, for me, with Yo handles though but rather comfort. My Fuji FKH is indifferent at best but the handle is still comfortable with no hot spots. Compare to a cheap US made knife like an Old Hickory and there you have your difference. Worst handle I have ever used is on an OH...It will blister your calluses! No contouring at all. But I can forgive that in a $20 knife. A $300 knife maybe not so much.

Coffee time...

To think that I spent half a minute bummed that this guy wouldn’t do my knife...

Well, I’m not very experienced in knife things tho, but I think the worst western handles ever are the ones you pay a lot and in front for, and then you have to wait 2-3-4 years for delivery too...

Your input has been duly noted. I promise to never share any information with this forum again. Now I'll get back to work.

To think that I spent half a minute bummed that this guy wouldn’t do my knife...

Kevin Engert is that you?

I haven't seen worse than the Fibrox and Vic Rosewood, or do popular cheap knives count here? Anyways those 2 are easily fixed to acceptable with a Dremel.

I rehandled one of those cheapest TF with resin wood scales. If one would want to, one could consider the construction pretty genious, forged down thin flat tang and mount scales a little "proud" on the tang. Pretty much no grinding/polishing needed for a (fairly) functional handle. It's ok to like different.. Maybe he manages to meet a demand with that line and his customers are happy.

Very good point! TF Nashiji 210 gyuto is about $180 shipped worldwide, so while not cheap is still a relatively affordable handmade knife. I think many people may actually enjoy the rustic aesthetic although I'm not actually sure that is necessarily the intent of the maker in this case?

Dave probably gets a skewed sample of knives as a poorly handled knife is probably more likely to be sent to him or at least sent a pic and inquiry to him for rehandling. There may also be a bias in who sends knives to him for sharpening in his location, the sampling may not be as broad as say what Jon Broida at JKI in LA or Korin in NYC see in walk in retail locations in the middle of big population centers.

Very good point! TF Nashiji 210 gyuto is about $180 shipped worldwide, so while not cheap is still a relatively affordable handmade knife. I think many people may actually enjoy the rustic aesthetic although I'm not actually sure that is necessarily the intent of the maker in this case?

Dave probably gets a skewed sample of knives as a poorly handled knife is probably more likely to be sent to him or at least sent a pic and inquiry to him for rehandling. There may also be a bias in who sends knives to him for sharpening in his location, the sampling may not be as broad as say what Jon Broida at JKI in LA or Korin in NYC see in walk in retail locations in the middle of big population centers.

but Dave must be right because he handles thousands of knives a year - so this means at least 2000/yr but based on his post it sounds more like 5000/yr, over a span of 10 years he must have handled at least 50,000 knives with enough of a yo shigs and tfs for him to say that. 5000 knives with 50% for sharpening and remaining for rehandling plus his own knives, that might explain why you need to wait 2 yrs :p. just some non scientific math.

Locking this thread, it's turning into a schoolyard fight. Please don't let this spillover into other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back