Thiers.FR part deux

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
Some of the grinders of knifes in Thiers France

vz4jy.jpg
[/IMG]

6B4ew.jpg
[/IMG]

xQrvn.jpg
[/IMG]

And contrast

AFTy5.jpg
[/IMG]

jGMt3.png
[/IMG]

and a few random.

tJ6bi.jpg
[/IMG]

tGoUR.jpg
[/IMG]

the top one is more manufacturing of big pieces
the second one is Les Remouleurs .

and a french anvil for Dave.

wMrs9.jpg
[/IMG]

raVHL.jpg
[/IMG]

tIfK.jpg
[/IMG]

ntdYE.jpg
[/IMG]

the top one not bad around $75 and what use to be a 10 inch chef knife for $14

Lee Valley (I think) years ago was selling NOS Sabs that had the logo of the sharpener lying down with a dog on his back to keep him warm. Alas, I didn't buy one.

I love the dogs in these pictures.

Do you think they're just shop dogs to keep the workers company and make it a more fun place to be?

Do you think they're just shop dogs to keep the workers company and make it a more fun place to be?

well along with casual friday's and there 401k i think there a happy lot.

Cool old pictures. I have seen ones like that before and others, perhaps from Sheffield, were guys were grinding like that. There is a video out there somewhere of a guy in Solingen grinding a presentation sword on a huge wheel standing up and he is wearing what can only be described as armored grinding boots. The rig looks like the lower half of some 50's sci fi movie robot costume, but more primitive.

Here is one from Sheffield notice they sit and use the grinder 1910.

p4yMS.jpg
[/IMG]

Actually the dogs were here to warm the people legs because in this position they had cold feet.

Thank you for link Kelson.
12-14 hours a day wow!

Back