Things that look better than they taste…

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
OK, here you go. Do not—ever—make this. Trust me. You really don't want to…

Coca Cola chicken:
IMG_2686.jpeg

OK, here you go. Do not—ever—make this. Trust me. You really don't want to…

Coca Cola chicken:
View attachment 76073

I've experimented in the past with coke a cola and poultry with good success. Mainly on thanksgiving. Cooking the turkey to 85% then finishing on broil with regular coke in a squirt bottle. Opening the door every 5 min or so to spay the turkey. It actually turns out pretty damn good in my opinion.

Local burrito place uses coke(soda) in their pulled pork and it comes out fine. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth so I could see something like that getting too sweet too quickly.

I've experimented in the past with coke a cola and poultry with good success. Mainly on thanksgiving. Cooking the turkey to 85% then finishing on broil with regular coke in a squirt bottle. Opening the door every 5 min or so to spay the turkey. It actually turns out pretty damn good in my opinion.
Well, you are entitled to like what you like :)

I tried this out of curiosity just once. What I ended up with was something vaguely like sweet and sour chicken. But the taste was something that belongs into a novel by H. P. Lovecraft…

Soda's relatively new globally. It's interesting to see where it ends up... In some cuisines it was a new ingredient. In others it was a replacement (usually starting with ingredients that WWII disrupted access to).
Some preparations of carnitas use Coke (Mexican Coke--the good stuff in the bottle with cane sugar). It's a bit of a debate... Some restaurants make a big deal of putting it on the menu that they do NOT use Coke.
Some Filipino dishes use soda--Longaniza uses Sprite for example. Sprite (called "cider") in a few Korean dishes.

I think Dr. Pepper could do well in BBQ sauce... Tamarind soda as a pork marinade... Root beer with Cod...

Friend of mine always "brines" chicken in coke for sweet and sour dishes

Soda's relatively new globally. It's interesting to see where it ends up... In some cuisines it was a new ingredient. In others it was a replacement (usually starting with ingredients that WWII disrupted access to).
Some preparations of carnitas use Coke (Mexican Coke--the good stuff in the bottle with cane sugar). It's a bit of a debate... Some restaurants make a big deal of putting it on the menu that they do NOT use Coke.
Some Filipino dishes use soda--Longaniza uses Sprite for example. Sprite (called "cider") in a few Korean dishes.

I think Dr. Pepper could do well in BBQ sauce... Tamarind soda as a pork marinade... Root beer with Cod...
my favorite soft drink reduction to use for BBQ sauce is cheerwine

dr pepper i ike to use for glazed ham

Friend of mine always "brines" chicken in coke for sweet and sour dishes

I’ve used coke to make ham gravy for almost 20 years. Combined with cloves and black pepper, makes for great flavor.
Alright, alright. I'll just have to accept that some people have awful taste ;)

But, rather than bashing on poor Michi, how about some other suggestions of things that look better than they taste? (Personally, I find that quite challenging, actually…)

Alright, alright. I'll just have to accept that some people have awful taste ;)

But, rather than bashing on poor Michi, how about some other suggestions of things that look better than they taste? (Personally, I find that quite challenging, actually…)
Tiger prawns! They look delicious but seriously the taste is pretty terrible.

Potato hasselback - plain roastie always wins
Cherry tomatoes
Starfruit
Most of the japanese food

Weird have never had a sweet tooth. Many things are too sweet for my taste. So I would say fancy deserts with lots of sugar

I’ve found in some* dishes, adding sweetness adds depth to a dish. Same idea as adding acid. Al long as everything is balanced.... I’ll add a little cane sugar to my fried rice if I’m not using sweet soy. Some soups as well. The idea isn’t to make a candied dish, it’s to add complexity.

I’ve found in some* dishes, adding sweetness adds depth to a dish. Same idea as adding acid. Al long as everything is balanced.... I’ll add a little cane sugar to my fried rice if I’m not using sweet soy. Some soups as well. The idea isn’t to make a candied dish, it’s to add complexity.
I've never managed to achieve that perfect balance, not as well as those Thai cooks can do it.
I gotta learn how to better use fish sauce and lime juice with palm sugar...
Also, edible flowers look amazing but taste terrible
I know you mean the garnishes, but what about zucchini flowers? They're pretty tasty.

This is a cook I used to work with who could literally eat anything. Saltine challenge, cinnamon challenge.... couldn’t finish the flowers :D

Tiger prawns! They look delicious but seriously the taste is pretty terrible.
Do you have an aversion to prawns in general, or just to tiger prawns?

I'm not a prawn connoisseur, so I haven't paid that much attention in the past. But I'm sure I've eaten lots of tiger prawns over the years and never had a thought of "oh, I don't like those prawns as much as usually."

And another one. Durian is definitely one of those extremely acquired tastes. Some people fall madly in love with it, others recoil in horror. It's pretty though :)
sunlife-520x410.jpeg

Back