Thinking about a deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Looking to add a new deba to my kit and possibly a small yanagiba depending which route I go down.

I'm leaning towards a 21cm regular (hon? or is it ai?) deba though considering a longer mioroshi as well. Starting in a new restaurant soon with a very high emphasis on seafood, nothing particularly large though; flathead, john dory, crab, king fish, snapper, whiting, etc.. I'm use to heavier knives so I reckon with a little practice I could finesse a deba which I believe would possibly serve me better in the long run. But like I said, I'm willing to be swayed.

Willing to spend a bit (lets say about $400, possibly a touch more if I go for a Mioroshi as I figure it could fill the role of a small yangiba to some extent), pretty much just looking for a straight out work knife, so I don't care about damascus or custom handles, just so long as the F+F is good.

Any feedback is grately appreciated.
Cheers,
Josh

Sweet Josh, Hide Aoichiko 210mm deba is about $500 mark, shironiko one should be under $300 shipped to Melbourne with saya. Haven't handle Hide deba, but the kensaki yanagi that I got from Jon is badass. Masomoto KS and Suisin Shironiko are within your price bracket too.

Hmm, Hide knives are interesting, wasn't aware they worked with white steel, can't say I've paid that much attention though. I'm interested in the Suisin inox honyaki line so I'll make sure to enquire about the Hide options.
Also considering the sugimoto kasumi superlative line, this is more out of curiosity and that I'm particularly fond of my Sugimotos, never used a single bevel from them though.

Cheers for the advice, Schanop.

Josh

Hmm. Suisin Inox Honyaki 180mm would be close to $500 shipped to AU, 210mm one would be close to $600 (if you can get one with similar pricing) :-D. Hide's white #2 line is a cheaper line, and that might be the main reason why Jon decided not to carry that line, but opted for just blue #1.

Any of these would be a good upgrade from your kanetsune though lol.

Back