Thinking about letting go of 2 knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepy

Reaction score
Hello all, I wasn't sure where to post something like this so apologies in advance, but I'm considering letting go of 2 of my knives and putting them up for sale here. My issue is I'm not quite sure what to value them at as it's been a while (i.e. a few years) since I purchased them and I haven't really been keeping up.

One of the knives is a BNIB Shigefusa Kitaeji 210 mm Gyuto, although it is unfortunately very slightly tipped (not by me, damaged during the shipping process when I originally bought it). The other is a BNIB SC125 (honyaki?) gyuto that I bought directly from Watanabe that was listed under one of the Special sections on his website, which I believe is one-of-a-kind. I can provide more information/pictures when I get home but thought I'd at least ask now.

Would anyone mind helping me come up with appropriate valuations to post these knives at? Trying to avoid posting too high or too low.

Last edited:
It's kind of hard to say where you should value your own knives. Some people dont like to profit off of their knives and will offer them below market value. To establish market value you could do a simple search here on BST and look for similar knives and make adjustments for size and condition. How long the knife sat on BST is also a consideration. How fast you want it to sell should be a factor (some knives will sit for a year without a price drop and then sell, see the latest Markin Rex 121 to sell).

It's kind of hard to say where you should value your own knives. Some people dont like to profit off of their knives and will offer them below market value. To establish market value you could do a simple search here on BST and look for similar knives and make adjustments for size and condition. How long the knife sat on BST is also a consideration. How fast you want it to sell should be a factor (some knives will sit for a year without a price drop and then sell, see the latest Markin Rex 121 to sell).
Okay, that seems fair. I'll probably put up a post later today then and revise estimates accordingly. Thank you!

Hello all, I wasn't sure where to post something like this so apologies in advance, but I'm considering letting go of 2 of my knives and putting them up for sale here. My issue is I'm not quite sure what to value them at as it's been a while (i.e. a few years) since I purchased them and I haven't really been keeping up.

One of the knives is a BNIB Shigefusa Kitaeji 210 mm Gyuto, although it is unfortunately very slightly tipped (not by me, damaged during the shipping process when I originally bought it). The other is a BNIB SC125 (honyaki?) gyuto that I bought directly from Watanabe that was listed under one of the Special sections on his website, which I believe is one-of-a-kind. I can provide more information/pictures when I get home but thought I'd at least ask now.

Would anyone mind helping me come up with appropriate valuations to post these knives at? Trying to avoid posting too high or too low.

Slightly tipped is not an issue, easy to fix. Whatever valuation you feel comfortable with, I'd then price it a few hundred dollars higher, you can always lower the price if it doesn't sell quickly—better to overprice than underprice the Shig. No comment on the Wat.

That Watanabe is just brutal. Shinichi is selling a 300mm blue 2 for just over $900 on his site now. I get it's a different steel and he could call it the best honyaki ever but damn.

That Watanabe is just brutal. Shinichi is selling a 300mm blue 2 for just over $900 on his site now. I get it's a different steel and he could call it the best honyaki ever but damn.
Yeah, but have you seen the specs and choil on that one?! It’s a choooonk. Would need a several hundred dollar thinning job to be useful

I suppose - original price I paid for the Wat honyaki came out to ~2300 USD in the first place. You could always ask Watanabe directly why he lists one honyaki for 900 and another for 2k+ if you want.

I suppose - original price I paid for the Wat honyaki came out to ~2300 USD in the first place. You could always ask Watanabe directly why he lists one honyaki for 900 and another for 2k+ if you want.
I don't doubt that's what it was sold for new...but honyakis are tough sells now in a super soft market. Had to sell some very nice ones for over 50% off recently

I don't doubt that's what it was sold for new...but honyakis are tough sells now in a super soft market. Had to sell some very nice ones for over 50% off recently
Hmm that's interesting, but yeah I'm not particularly in need of funds so i suppose there's no rush. I just felt that the knives were going to waste since they weren't being used and thought people here might want them, although I don't see a reason to take a loss while passing them on. Sorry you had to let go of your knives at such a steep discount.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find the one guy who's looking for that knife, you never know. It seems like the very popular westerns are the only things that really hold good value these days

The market is super soft for a lot of discretionary things right now.

Super premium stuff though seems to be holding up well. People that are well off, are generally very well off. It's the people in the middle that are feeling the hardest squeeze of inflation and current political policies the most. Those of lower means are simply no longer in the market. :(

Latest posts

Back