Thinking of getting a new Wok.

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by boomchakabowwow, Nov 13, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Nov 13, 2019 #1

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

Anyone using the CraftWok from Amazon?

my current wok is the same size. 14”. Mine has two hoop handles so “tossing” the cooking food with dramatic flair ain’t happening. :). I think I want to try a handled version. Trust me, seasoning a new carbon steel vessel is very low on my to-do list. Bllech.

any real world reviews? It looks good and heavy.

Attached Files:

2. Nov 13, 2019 #2

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

I bought that wok a few months ago: https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/show-your-newest-gear.41801/page-3#post-638120

I'm very happy with it. Has taken a beautiful pitch-black patina, is seriously non-stick, and nice quality. I removed the handle for seasoning and, while it was off, gave it a thorough soaking with teak oil (after sanding it a little bit smoother). That wok will easily survive me and my children…

I'm not sure how much casual tossing of ingredients you will do with it though. It's not super-heavy, but not a light-weight either (at least not with food in it).

3. Nov 13, 2019 #3

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member

You can toss with the two handle versions (around the 1 min mark)

I still think you should get the yamada lol. I’d be wary of the rivets on the one you linked (I’m sure it’s fine though)

Angie likes this.
  4. Nov 13, 2019 #4

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

My stepdad could toss a big wok like that. I’m not him. His forearms were iron.

5. Nov 13, 2019 #5

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Supporting Member

I purchased my ChanChiKee wok my last trip to China, I had to fit it into my check bag and it was totally worth it lol

6. Nov 13, 2019 #6

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

thanks bud. appreciate the input. i can almost toss my current wok but it is a myriad of problems. first is my weaker left arm. next is my backyard wok burner - it allows a small bit of flame to lap out the front. even with a towel, my kid hands get hot. i like that hammered look.

i will be in Japan and Taipei in a couple of months. not sure i even want a Yamada. i dont gravitate to things cuz of japan or cost.

7. Nov 18, 2019 #7

rstl87

rstl87

rstl87

I just bought the Craft Wok a month ago. It’s awesome. It was very easy to season and has been performing quite well. Highly recommended. I could use a higher BTU stove but that is not the wok’s fault :) Looking into making a flame concentrator like the wokmon.

boomchakabowwow likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted