Thinking of learning forging. Any tips?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a guy in Eastern Washington who has a business heat treating blades and he also cuts out blanks for finishing. He has quite a number of profiles programmed into his system, including various kitchen designs, if I understand correctly. His name is Jerrod Todd, and if you search for JT Knives you should find him. He's also starting to get into selling damascus bar stock forged by Salem Straub, also in eastern WA.

I applaud your wisdom in thinking before jumping. Depending on the amount of sawdust in the shop, this can be a concern when forging. It can be done, but you have too make sure you clean up the dust. In the past year, I've had to move from my own shop space into sharing a shop with someone and I've had to do a lot of cleaning up of the shop after more than one episode of having to stop what I'm forging and find the source of the smoke I was smelling when a piece of scale popped off my pieces and landed on a pile of dust, a scrap piece of canvas, scrap paper, etc.

Also, you are probably right about:
I'd get hooked ...
My metalworking 'career' started as a traditional blacksmith, until I wanted to try pattern welding 6 or so years ago. Since that time I have forged almost zero bottle openers, hooks, sculptures, gates, functional ironwork, etc. and mostly kitchen knives because I really enjoy making pattern welded steel and had to find something to do with the billets. I don't have much time for other things, so I guess I'm fortunate not to have any other responsibilities other than my 15 y/o husky. I probably wouldn't be able to do this if I had a spouse, and/or kids to take care of, if I were still running my PT clinics, etc....
When you are ready too jump, I'll suggest joining the CBA California Blacksmith Association (calsmith.org) and attend any gathering you can. It doesn't take much to become friends with a few and then have access to fully equipped shops, and you can learn a lot in a weekend about hammer control, helpful tools and jigs, etc...

Last edited:
Back