Thinning a Henkels 4-Star

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esoo

┐⁠(⁠ ⁠∵⁠ ⁠)⁠┌
KKF Lifetime Supporter KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
So was talking with my dad and his Henkels 4 Star knives (which are ~40 years old) are due for a thinning. Probably need the bolsters ground as well.

Suggestions for best approaches? I've only done some small thinning on my Tojiros and I suspect the 8" chefs needs something more major.

My lowest grits are a King 250 (from a 250/1000 combi) or my SG500 (which I know isn't low enough), so I'd likely have to invest is something coarse.

Or is just more worthwhile to find somebody compenent and just pay to get it done.

I like the thinning process. You learn a ton, especially on unfamiliar knives. You might ugly up your stones and spend a bunch of time, but I’ve never done a thinning without discovering something I didn’t know.

My experience thinning western steel involves a lot of shapton glass 220 (much refreshing needed) and Naniwa pro 400. Honestly the 400 takes off that kind of steel reasonably fast with some pressure.

Or you could go all out and take the sigma 240 / SP120 route, but I have a hard time flattening those. I’ve never tried sandpaper but many here seem to like it.

Last edited:
The blade part isn't overly complicated to do by hand. Coarse stones or sandpaper are both viable options. However for the bolster part, I would recommend some sort of power equipment. Trying to remove that much metal by hand is not gonna be worth your time.

If I recall correctly, the blade is full flat grind, so nothing special to deal with. My thought would be to put some tape on the spine to raise it a bit and then go to town.

The bolster is an unknown for me on how to deal with.

Bolster I would wrap a stone in 60 grit sandpaper and just grind away. Not worth gouging out a stone.

Before or after thinning? I’d say after, then final sharpen. The part where bolster curves into the blade face is sort of where I’d have questions. Blend it in with sandpaper and call it a day?

Back