Third knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kohalajohn

Reaction score
Hello all. New member here, and look forward to discussions.

Seeking thoughts on the third kitchen knife to buy.

I have a Japanese style Nakiri made by Murray Carter, for vegetables.

I have a german Wusthof 8 inch chef's knife. Thick, wide bevel angle, can break up a chicken in moments.

Looking for a third. Maybe a Deba for meat? Maybe a 7 inch Santoku for general work?

If you don't have a specific task in mind that your current knives don't do well, you don't have to invent one - choosing a knife just because you like it or find it interesting isn't a crime. :)

The questionnaire is good, but it has a sometimes-fatal flaw: it's for people who need a knife. If the questions are treated as they seem to be intended, the answer can easily be "Skip it, you don't need a knife".

Last edited:
Do you have a kiwi in your life? They're a cheap and fun knife.

More relevantly though, maybe a longer knife/slicer?

I wouldn’t get a deba unless you specifically plan on breaking down a lot of fish and then only if you care about the craft itself.

If you’re fine with the Wusthof as your primary kitchen knife and utilize the nakiri for most of your veggies, consider a slicer or a good paring knife. If you like wusthof, the demi bolster 3.5” paring is a good option. However, this might be a good opportunity to challenge your biases and get a great jknife. Order a Toyama 270 sujihiki and prepare to have your mind blown.

Without knowing anything else, I'm gonna throw out a lasery gyuto, cai dao, petty/parer, or humble serrated bread knife

One might also consider upgrading from the Wusthof to a Canadian-made chef's-knife, perhaps longer than 8" unless space makes it impracticable.

Back