This is gonna hurt. Sent Tudor watch to Rolex.

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by boomchakabowwow, Jan 4, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 4, 2019 #1

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

Gah! My favorite timepiece. I set the time and date. And wore it some. Realized I never gave it a wind. Pulled the stem out and with a click; it came completely out. BOOO!

It is now nothing more than a screw in plug to keep water out. I wore it for Dec and kept it in motion to keep it active.

Just dropped it off at a local jewelry shop. I’m traveling a lot coming up, I prefer to let them handle the paperwork and shipping to Rolex of Dallas. I hope this is the last time it needs service, so I wanted it done at an authorized service center.

Rolex reopens Jan 9. The lady said to expect 4-6 weeks turnaround time. Price? That’s anyone’s guess. Yikes. Scary.

They better not do more than necessary. I don’t want a new bracelet, for example. It took 25 years for me to make it look mine. :)

2. Jan 4, 2019 #2

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member

When was the last time the movement was disassembled and cleaned/ oiled? The stem fix is likely simple, and the movement service will be the bulk of the cost.

There are good watchmakers scattered around as an alternative to Rolex. That is a way to reduce costs in the future (a movement service should typically occur at 5-7 year intervals).

4-6 week turnaround isn't bad for a watch getting sent to the manufacturer.

3. Jan 4, 2019 #3

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

I had it serviced in SF about five years ago.

The lady said they do a service every time they get a watch. They won’t just fix the stem.

4. Jan 6, 2019 #4

ACHiPo

ACHiPo

ACHiPo

Count on about $800 + parts. At least that's what a Rolex costs for servicing. They need servicing every 5-7 years. T'ain't cheap!

5. Jan 7, 2019 #5

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

I don't have any sympathy for the trials and tribulations of the rich. From the perspective of one in poverty, you deserve all the problems the universe can throw at you.

I find it ridiculous when I see the phrase

"Oh, so sorry about your rolex. That's so sad that an overpriced product malfunctioned costing more money to fix than a week long trip to Hawaii"

Yeah, I'm paraphrasing

pete84 likes this.
  6. Jan 7, 2019 #6

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

IIRC the Tudor movement is a bit simpler.

7. Jan 7, 2019 #7

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

Haha. ChefDoom. I’m a lot of things but rich isn’t one of them.

I was damn near almost homeless. I figured my trajectory in life was heading in a very unfavorable direction. I bit my lip and went to school, Got a job, paid off my loans ASAP. And moved on.

I bash my garlic with a $49 blade. No Japanese ultra knife in my kitchen. The price tag on some of the people’s cutlery here is shocking to me. Not my jam. I bought my watch because I wanted it. That’s all. It’s very plain looking. That watch is my single frivolous luxury item. :).

8. Jan 7, 2019 #8

Mute-on

Mute-on

Mute-on

AFAIK a Rolex service includes refinishing the case and bracelet to as new. I expect they treat Tudor the same.

If you absolutely must preserve the hard won patina on your watch, use an independent technician. I don’t know if Rolex will accomodate requests to leave original wear as is.

Tudors are cool, and not anything like Rolex prices. Wear it in good health!