this is not bad for the edge at all.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dat Tip

Grinder vs Chef Knife.jpg

It's interesting that he tests the blade out on a magazine (those poor women) before sharpening, then on a sponge or whatever afterwards. I'd be interested to see whether it actually cuts the magazine better after sharpening.

It's horrible in the context of good knives. But if it's a 5 dollar knife, you don't care what you do to the already questionable HT and soft steel and you can do this once every 3 days, you probably have a tool that is "acceptable within your chosen framework". I'm not saying go and do this, but he gets an edge, he probably doesn't give a toot about damaging the knife and goes on about his day.

Just playing devils advocate here..

Jokes aside, why does it take so long? Should be a couple of passes, no?

I believe people should sharpen their knives in whatever manner makes the most sense to them. However, when you put up a tutorial on YouTube, you have a responsibility, especially to new sharpeners not to introduce them to poor techniques or methods. This is an epic failure, and totally irresponsible.

I believe people should sharpen their knives in whatever manner makes the most sense to them. However, when you put up a tutorial on YouTube, you have a responsibility, especially to new sharpeners not to introduce them to poor techniques or methods. This is an epic failure, and totally irresponsible.

where this guy lives this probably classifies as quite sophisticated sharpening since he has a machine. i agree its totally epic...

Now this method could probably be quite good if he could make that angle grinder spin at 1200 or 120 rpm instead of 12k with some variable speed drive (frequency modulation or whatever they use for mains). its only 6-800w or so. this must be cheap to buy on ebay.

Latest posts

Back