Thought provoking industry article

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. It is no different, really, to university education in many places: costly training that is valued far lees by employers than the graduates think it should be.

For profit post secondary schools have a very poor reputation for delivering quality education. They are saddled by their fiduciary responsibility to shareholders to deliver profits that creates a severe conflict of interest. The VA is looking at them since many like phoenix, prey on veterans who, as much as I hate to say it, don't really have the preparation to perform in a rigorous college environment. The schools accept anyone who has va benefits or can get a government loan. Their default rate is astronomical compared to traditional not for profit schools that require enrollees to have at least some minimal qualifications and a chance to succeed.

When I am going through resumes in the final stages of the hiring process, if one makes it to me with a for profit "university" degree like phoenix or ITT, I toss them with no further consideration. Sounds cold but that's the way it is.

That being said, I don't know about Le Cordon Bleu or the other culinary schools, the guys that are industry professionals can comment on the qualifications of the graduates but STEM grads from the for profits seldom if ever are even slightly qualified.

I strongly dislike for-profit colleges. Sounds like Cordon Bleu North America did not figure out the business model, but unfortunately many others have been vacuuming up dollars from federal/state student loan programs, along with the GI Bill, etc. for shareholders, with limited benefit for students. As I see it the for-profit college model is to take money from students who do not have a good understanding of mathematics (cost of education compared to future earnings). It can be ruthless for all involved.

I'll score this as a win for the industry. We need more blue collar laborers, not confused and clueless "chefs" living under a mountain of debt.

Back