thoughts on Ashi Ginga monosteel Shirogami?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyn

Reaction score
Heard of lots of great things about Ashi Ginga here and came across a monosteel white #2 gyuto on japanische-kochmesser.
Has anyone had any experience with these Ashi Ginga white #2 monosteel knives?
Also, monosteel white steel knives do not seem very common, how do they compare to white steel honyaki's?

Search button's your friend on this one... There's a wealth of information on ginga in the forums.
They are very good knives. Classic lasers. I can't speak to the ones on the site you mention, as the ones I have come from JKI (which has adjusted (improved?) some things). Note that lasers involve an important trade off--they excel at precision but don't have good food release (since they are thin, there is less room for the grind to make a difference there).

Also, monosteel white steel knives do not seem very common, how do they compare to white steel honyaki's?
Apples and oranges. Both are fruit in that they are monosteel, but that's where the comparisons end. A honyaki is differentially hardened. You'll be hard-pressed to find a honyaki with a grind as thin as a ginga or at a pricepoint anywhere near a ginga.

I have a JKI 240mm Ashi Ginga Gyuto in White #2 and it's very adept at its' purpose. Excellent fit and finish, when dicing onions, it's as if I'm slicing through air. Food release is not the top tier as mentioned above, but it's a great knife!

Back