Thoughts on ittosai please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Still in persuit om the ideal small gyuto, I treid the Tojiro 180mm and although the blade was great the handle was just to poorly finished for me.

Im trying to find more details on the following please, is it thick/thin, sharp oob etc

http://korin.com/HOT-GY?sc=22&category=52095

Thanks

Alan

One of my favorite vg10 knives (gf has it now though); the profile+geometry are very good and it's really thin behind the edge. Edge retention is about average though. F&f for the knife has to be the best I've ever seen. I'm really glad it was my first j-knife.

James really summed up my opinions on it as well. I had a Hattori HD which is, for all intents and purposes, the same knife with a different logo. Thin, average edge retention, great finish. OOTB edge will impress you if you aren't a total sharpening junkie, and even when it's not all that sharp it "acts sharp" by the grace of it's geometry. Sharpening it isn't particularly blissful or anything, but it's not terrible--mine had a bit of a funky grind but it wasn't so bad it hurt it's performance.

I'm also glad it was my first j-knife, but I don't regret that it's not in my kit anymore, either. :)

I agree with James. It also has a good distal taper and very thin right at the tip. The scales on mine have shrunk a little and the shiny cladding scratches a bit but It's a pretty good cutter, all around. It is apparently a Hattori HD clone. I don't use it at all other than for comparison.

Vertigo beat me to it...

Hey TK59, have you compared the ittosai to other rebranded knives? I am curious to know if they really are rebranded or if something else rather than just stamping a different name is done to the knives.

Hey TK59, have you compared the ittosai to other rebranded knives? I am curious to know if they really are rebranded or if something else rather than just stamping a different name is done to the knives.

There are posts on both Foodie Forums and Knife Forums dating back as far as 2006, from people who've used both brands, with the consensus being that Ryusen is the OEM for both Ittosai and Hattori HD, and that they are in fact the same knife with different logos.

I have a petty. It doesn't get much attention. I hate the handle. Rehandling project?

There are posts on both Foodie Forums and Knife Forums dating back as far as 2006, from people who've used both brands, with the consensus being that Ryusen is the OEM for both Ittosai and Hattori HD, and that they are in fact the same knife with different logos.

The reason I am asking is that there is a slight discrepancy. See the thing is the knife on korin is stated as cobalt steel and the HD is stated as vg10 and last I heard the ryusen knife is made from sg2... So I was hoping maybe there was a difference since the ittosai kinda appeals to me. I once sharpened one and thought the steel was pretty aggressive when it came to cutting stuff which is something I like, kinda reminded me of the misono ux10.

+1 Ryusen is the OEM for these knives. Koki used to offer the substitution when Hattori was out of stock. I have compared Ryusen and Hattori side by side, and the only apparent difference is the Kanji.

Some years ago, there was information that the Hattori's meant for export were tempered to lower hardness in response to complaints about chipping. I don't think this was ever confirmed.

anyone that has used one how does it perform. It probably is a boring knife but performance wise is it ok? better than ok? or just pass on to better and bigger things?

anyone that has used one how does it perform. It probably is a boring knife but performance wise is it ok? better than ok? or just pass on to better and bigger things?

I have this knife in 24cm (9.4in"). For a western style knife the fit and finish is very nice. I think it's better then ok, it has some weight behind it so it won't be as light as some others. For me a home cook now, it performs just fine. Its fun to sharpen and holds a good edge.

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I just came home from Union Commerce with a nice 165 mm Ittousai Kotetsu Kakugata nakiri with a mahogany handle and large horn ferrule. The core is aoniko (blue number 2). Fit and finish is reasonable for the price I paid, and it is really well balanced. I had meant to pick up a dirt cheap nakiri this week, but for only a few dollars more than the cheaper ones made from shironiko or VG or V5, I got one with a blue steel hagane. The nice brushed kasumi also looks more elegant than the kuro-uchi on the other nakiris I checked out, both cheaper and more expensive (Masamoto KK). The profile is familiar, feeling a bit like a heavier, chopped persion of the KS gyuto.

Does anybody know any more about the Ittousai Kotetsu blue steel knives?

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I just came home from Union Commerce with a nice 165 mm Ittousai Kotetsu Kakugata nakiri with a mahogany handle and large horn ferrule. The core is aoniko (blue number 2). Fit and finish is reasonable for the price I paid, and it is really well balanced. I had meant to pick up a dirt cheap nakiri this week, but for only a few dollars more than the cheaper ones made from shironiko or VG or V5, I got one with a blue steel hagane. The nice brushed kasumi also looks more elegant than the kuro-uchi on the other nakiris I checked out, both cheaper and more expensive (Masamoto KK). The profile is familiar, feeling a bit like a heavier, chopped persion of the KS gyuto.

Does anybody know any more about the Ittousai Kotetsu blue steel knives?

Kind of late into this thread, but in hopes you might read it. Korin used to sell the Ittousai Kotetsu Blue steel yanagi knives, so I asked Mr. Sugai. He asked if you could show him a picture of the one you have in mind, but for the most part he recommends Masamoto more.

Back