Thoughts on Takeshi Saji R2?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenYu

Reaction score
Hi all, has been lurking for 3 months and this is my first post.

Takeshi Saji I believe is a master blacksmith known for his outdoor knives (plz correct me if I am wrong), but I am not sure about his kitchen knives.
I personally find his R2 gyutos attractive, but at the price point of $400, is it worth it?
Anyone has experience with Saji R2? Cutting performance? Edge retention?

I briefly used a Takeshi Saji Diamond damascus 240 R2 a year or so ago.
It wasn't a bad cutter, better than my Tanaka b2, a good solid knife, but nothing particularly special.
Probably one of the prettiest blades I've ever got my hands on.
I'd probably go for the Shiro Kamo R2 over the Saji.
But if you really want one, I do think of it occasionally, then it'll do a perfectly good job.

I briefly used a Takeshi Saji Diamond damascus 240 R2 a year or so ago.
It wasn't a bad cutter, better than my Tanaka b2, a good solid knife, but nothing particularly special.
Probably one of the prettiest blades I've ever got my hands on.
I'd probably go for the Shiro Kamo R2 over the Saji.
But if you really want one, I do think of it occasionally, then it'll do a perfectly good job.

Thanks!
I thought Tanaka is a really good cutter, is it not?

Thanks!

I think so. I have a Ginsanko version, but I think various versions of Tanakas (B2, Ginsan, VG10) are generally highly regarded. I'd rate the performance as very good, and value as excellent. If I only had one knife, I could certainly be happy with my Tanaka. (Fortunately, I don't have to!)

I think so. I have a Ginsanko version, but I think various versions of Tanakas (B2, Ginsan, VG10) are generally highly regarded. I'd rate the performance as very good, and value as excellent. If I only had one knife, I could certainly be happy with my Tanaka. (Fortunately, I don't have to!)

Same feeling about my B2 Tanaka (except for the cladding that turns orange if I look at an onion in the grocery store). It does everything so well that if I were honest with myself, I'd never buy another knife.

That would make me sad though.

Thanks!

It is a very, very good knife.
It could probably do with a bit of thinning, but as Dan said, there's no real reason to buy another knife if being honest.

That said, I have a Tanaka Nashiji, and I actually prefer it over the b2.

I also have a Tanaka R2 Ironwood, but then, that's a completely different beast ;)

Back