Thoughts/reviews new KS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to share my thoughts but mine is somewhere in post office land still. :( I could not compare it to the old one anyway.

Mine arrived a few days ago and its fine... choil and profile shots are identical to the old one, f&f is great, edge, profile and finish is what I expected, kanji does have some depth and is very well defined (which I actually like!)

The only thing i´m doing as we speak is having a nice handle put on it.... but thats me being picky... I do that with most my wa´s anyway...

So, I´m happy!

I never owned one but was wondering what is the big deal about it?
People seem to like it a lot!

I never owned one but was wondering what is the big deal about it?
People seem to like it a lot!

I hear ya..

I’m only fairly new but when I first started hanging around here people raved about the KS. It was the perfect knife but it was OOS. Mystery surrounded why it was OOS when it was so popular. Many column inches were devoted to how desirable this knife was with not a single dissenting opinion. Then a couple of months ago the word was, KS are coming back. People rejoiced. But then the dissenters arose. The handle is shite. The grind is average. Some are good, some are bad.

I don’t have a KS. Don’t desire one. Won’t buy one. But it seems to me that sometimes desirability is inversely proportionate to obtainability.

Basically:

The KS has been around for a long time. Its a fairly standard White #2 mono, and was known for relatively poor edge retention (for a Japanese knife), average fit and finish, grind inconsistencies and its unique "French" profile and squared-off emoto/choil. Back in ye olden days, when the KS was perpetually in stock at JCK, Korin and various Rakuten sources amongst others, the unique features noted above weren't enough for most people to care*. Since they became unavailable/discontinued**/perceived as "rare", objective opinion has been cast asunder amongst a maelstrom of hype. Cue a load of positive reviews from relative neophytes blinded by cognitive bias.

* not withstanding a positive review from Salty, leading to a pre-hype train era resurgence in popularity.

** clearly BS

And yes, I have had a KS in my hands. 2009, iirc

Haha nailed it. Still amazed how many words have been spent on these.

This thread has gone full Retard in record time.

yes. idk if its just because of the recent weather in the united states or what. its actually getting quite annoying.

No updates since the 12th...

Really, mine was 12 posted by Koki and 13th at outward exchange Chibu Int. Nothing since. I have no idea if that means that it is in US customs waiting for USPS or if it is still in JP or if it is in the ocean or what...

I ordered a stone about the same time,around the 13th from Japan,different company,but now I am thinking that it was on the same boat that sunk.

I ordered a stone about the same time,around the 13th from Japan,different company,but now I am thinking that it was on the same boat that sunk.

It is more than likely a USPS issue. I have order loads of things from Japan and more than a few from JCK specifically and have never had it take so long. Then again, I had a T-shirt take 7 weeks to get here from Austria.

It is more than likely a USPS issue. I have order loads of things from Japan and more than a few from JCK specifically and have never had it take so long. Then again, I had a T-shirt take 7 weeks to get here from Austria.

Which vendor in Austria?

It's been a long time since the Pony Express,I guess we should be thankful.

Mine arrived a few days ago and its fine... choil and profile shots are identical to the old one, f&f is great, edge, profile and finish is what I expected, kanji does have some depth and is very well defined (which I actually like!)

The only thing i´m doing as we speak is having a nice handle put on it.... but thats me being picky... I do that with most my wa´s anyway...

So, I´m happy!

Glad to hear...yet to see one with a decent stock handle.

I hear ya..

I’m only fairly new but when I first started hanging around here people raved about the KS. It was the perfect knife but it was OOS. Mystery surrounded why it was OOS when it was so popular. Many column inches were devoted to how desirable this knife was with not a single dissenting opinion. Then a couple of months ago the word was, KS are coming back. People rejoiced. But then the dissenters arose. The handle is shite. The grind is average. Some are good, some are bad.

I don’t have a KS. Don’t desire one. Won’t buy one. But it seems to me that sometimes desirability is inversely proportionate to obtainability.

This unfortunately is what happens when something isn't available...when in stock everywhere nobody really cared.

Basically:

The KS has been around for a long time. Its a fairly standard White #2 mono, and was known for relatively poor edge retention (for a Japanese knife), average fit and finish, grind inconsistencies and its unique "French" profile and squared-off emoto/choil. Back in ye olden days, when the KS was perpetually in stock at JCK, Korin and various Rakuten sources amongst others, the unique features noted above weren't enough for most people to care*. Since they became unavailable/discontinued**/perceived as "rare", objective opinion has been cast asunder amongst a maelstrom of hype. Cue a load of positive reviews from relative neophytes blinded by cognitive bias.

* not withstanding a positive review from Salty, leading to a pre-hype train era resurgence in popularity.

** clearly BS

And yes, I have had a KS in my hands. 2009, iirc

My thoughts too but in trying to keep an open mind (and getting caught in the hype myself) I decided to try again with the new batch though I'm somewhat skeptical.

So why everybody STILL wants em??

Simple answer is hype (and a very sexy profile)

This thread has gone full Retard in record time.

LOL

For those waiting, it's been a while since I've ordered from Koki but guessing he doesn't ship EMS? Meaning updates don't happen as often.

Anyway, China, I guess there are a few of us that will come back and give our impressions when we finally get our KS. As I said before, though, I have no basis for comparison to the older model. Maybe some of these other folks will.

I bought it at a shop in Vienna and sent it to my mother via post. It was not through a vendor. We went there on holiday a few years back. :D

Ohhh Kit alright. Im just looking for vendors in Europe.

Sorry, read Yusuke.
I've wanted the Sakai Yusuke extra thick w#2 240mm gyuto, seems like a knife that would be just right for me. Still looking for one...

I think you would like that knife, a lot, based off of the preferences we have talked about. I had the standard and liked it but not enough to keep it. I think the extra thick would add just enough meat to the grind to make it stand out. I've been waiting too. Just speculation, of course.

Back