Thoughts/reviews new KS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re welcome. If you still have KS fever I would recommend a Marko KS. I just received mine a couple of hours ago. 52100 steel, asymmetrical grind, little thicker blade but not in a bad way. F&F is way above Masamoto and I hardly pay attention to that stuff.

I believe is prefer this myself....dimensions?

You’re welcome. If you still have KS fever I would recommend a Marko KS. I just received mine a couple of hours ago. 52100 steel, asymmetrical grind, little thicker blade but not in a bad way. F&F is way above Masamoto and I hardly pay attention to that stuff.

Sounds like a good one to consider for sure!

Has anyone tried the 210 model yet? I'd really like to hear how that one is working out by comparison. Especially considering the 240 was all about the profile, really excited to hear before I drop that order. I was literally having a convo with a friend about how the 210 vacancy was ridiculous for such a renowned knife. Anybody?

I also just reread the 210 ks in stock thread and saw a lot of mixed sentiments, most notably someone saying 'gross'. Now I'm really pumped to hear anyone's thoughts on this knife.

the mystique on ks is so strong that it got people who previously hated it try the new batch
I am one of these people. Fact is I once had a KS which just didn't click with me. Back then it was too long, too pointy, too flat, and the handle, even for my smallish hands, was tiny and just bad in every regard.

I have a new one now from the new batch. I assume my preferences have evolved/changed. It made me smile from the first cut. Fwiw, the handle is nice now, ordered "marble" and specifically asked for a greyish colour. The wood shows some figure/grain and I like the horn. It also is definitely bigger than on my previous KS...

I like/prefer the blonde horn. It could be a simple as that i havent had many with blonde and many with black... Or i just like the blonde

I feel a KS 270 would terrify a cabbage
3 ways till sunday

It could be a simple as that i havent had many with blonde and many with black... Or i just like the blonde

Nothing wrong with liking blondes IMO! :D
And if you haven't had that many you definitely need to try more.

... And just to be clear, I'm still talking about horn ferrules. I think? :scratchhead:

Nothing wrong with liking blondes IMO! :D
And if you haven't had that many you definitely need to try more.

... And just to be clear, I'm still talking about horn ferrules. I think? :scratchhead:

Spoken like a true fin! :lol2:

Handle/Horn wise Marbled or black is nicest for me, pure "blonde" just seem to lack character...

Glad u clarified that :biggrin:... Also like nice marble horn very much especially when the handle is super simple like ho wood.

Labor, have you gotten a chance to use the Marko you got. How do you like it?

Not yet. Yesterday was brunch, which is a sh!tshow so I didn’t try it. Today I’m very hungover from a Super Bowl Party, so I decided to wait until tomorrow when hopefully my mental faculties return. Looks gorgeous though. I’ll take some pics soon.

Please do. I have his 240 in 52100 as well, but mine is not as long or tall as yours and I like mine a lot. Really interested in what you think about yours.

Cool. Marko used an “asymmetric mizuno grind” which didn’t sound that appealing Honestly. I was worried that meant thick low grind food release beast knife. But it doesn’t, I think it’s gonna perform somewhat similar to akebono.
Please do. I have his 240 in 52100 as well, but mine is not as long or tall as yours and I like mine a lot. Really interested in what you think about yours.

Thought I'd come back for one final thought on this one. I wound up selling the knife but only because I once again realized that it's just a bit too short in the heel for my personal tastes. Overall, I'd say that whoever is making these is putting out a much more consistent product with improved fit and finish (though still somewhat below the cost of the knife imo) and a pretty nice grind. I only used the knife for one meal prep and used the 'factory' edge but the knife performed well with decent release on potatoes, almost no wedging in sweet potatoes or carrots, and a fairly admirable job on brunoise of onions and garlic. If the knife were 52+mm at the heel it would certainly have been a keeper. I'm glad to see these back in stock as it will certainly be a knife I will recommend in the future when it fits the size requirements of the user. Also glad I tried it just so I know for sure that it's not the right knife for me.

Curious if anyone has the KS and Yusuki Sakai Extra thick knives to compare? I've used a KS a while ago in a pass around but own a 210 Extra thick Yusuki. Curious to how the profiles compare.

Thought I'd come back for one final thought on this one. I wound up selling the knife but only because I once again realized that it's just a bit too short in the heel for my personal tastes. Overall, I'd say that whoever is making these is putting out a much more consistent product with improved fit and finish (though still somewhat below the cost of the knife imo) and a pretty nice grind.

I'd agree that the heel is shorter than ideal. However, I haven't found it so short as to not be a nice knife to use. Sometimes the short heel is a plus, and the height and profile make it a nice complement to my other gyutos.

I'd agree that the heel is shorter than ideal. However, I haven't found it so short as to not be a nice knife to use. Sometimes the short heel is a plus, and the height and profile make it a nice complement to my other gyutos.

I agree but I also went from a 210 to the KS so the heel height was not a big adjustment. Most of my 210s are 42-46 with the exception of my Tanaka.

Back