Three Sisters

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth

Founding Member
Reaction score
Strad violins and cellos have names. The famous Davidov Stradivarius cello from the early 1700s was owned by Jacqueline DuPre, one of the greatest cellists of all time who died tragically in her early 40's (MS I think) and this cello was gifted to YoYo Ma.

A year ago I really wanted a Shig, had read so much about them, but had no idea if I could ever own one. Now a year later, I seem to have three, and they have names.

First is the "Rick Jason Shig" named after its previous owners. I believe this to be a pre-Naka standard thickness knife. Jason or Rick might fill in the history here.

Second up is the "Maksim Shig" - some call it the "Blue Box Shig" named after the title of the thread that announced the arrival of these gems.

Finally there is the "Marko Shig" - again named after its caretaker. I've been told this is a vintage of somewhat thinner but not as thin as the Maksim Shig.

The first two are kasumi and the last is kitaeji.

I will try my best to provide comparisons after I return from the weekend trip. In part, these knives have to be sharpened in a similar manner for the various tests to be informative. For now though, I can say that I can get all three to do the stationary tomato slice and, as might be expected, the RJ Shig has slightly more resistance on the carrot cross cut (ccc test).

Isn't it illegal to post a thread like this without pictures?

Yes, it is illegal to post a thread of this degree with no pictures. I believe it violates code K-1470.d and thus the original poster has only a few days before penalties shall be handed down. :cop:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Bigger...I've already been in jail....

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Nice camera work Seth.

Why do I see four knives in some of these pictures? Did you stumble across a fourth Shigefusa this morning? ;)

Looking forward to your impressions of all of them.

If you named them after guys, the thread should say, "3 brothers"....

Awesome knives, BTW.

I also see a problem your counting maybe "4 brothers"? Beautiful knives though I really like how clear the stamp is on all of them... Don't know why that's important to me but one of my shiges has a slightly muddled stamp, one has a somewhat light stamp and my third, is just perfect, which I like. Yours all look perfect!

Nice camera work Seth.

Why do I see four knives in some of these pictures? Did you stumble across a fourth Shigefusa this morning? ;)

Looking forward to your impressions of all of them.

They are multiplying... I specifically wanted to see if you were paying attention. The little one is also not a Naka-Maksim lightweight. As far as names; I guess they might be transgender or something. I'll get back to you.

They are multiplying... I specifically wanted to see if you were paying attention. The little one is also not a Naka-Maksim lightweight. As far as names; I guess they might be transgender or something. I'll get back to you.

I'm always paying attention. ;)

I guess the Marko custom job was worth the wait. Looks incredible.

I still think it's funny that I sent you a PM to alert you to a Shigefusa for sale in the B/S/T forum because I felt guilty about taking Rick's away from you, when in fact you already had several (now four). That's the last time I feel sorry for you Seth!

I want details on these and I want them right now.

Beautiful knives, by far my favorite gyuto profile in all the land!!!

I'm always paying attention. ;)

I guess the Marko custom job was worth the wait. Looks incredible.

I still think it's funny that I sent you a PM to alert you to a Shigefusa for sale in the B/S/T forum because I felt guilty about taking Rick's away from you, when in fact you already had several (now four). That's the last time I feel sorry for you Seth!

I want details on these and I want them right now.

JBG: At the time I didn't have any. Just got the Marko and in recognition of your thoughtfulness, I will send it to you. No need to feel sorry for me anymore though...I'm good. Also, to keep my children from selling my knives at the garage sale when I bite the dust, I have left all my knives to you. You better learn single bevels :)

The Marko handle, being much denser wood, improves the balance. The kitaeji is not what I expected; you can't feel it but it has an irredescent type of depth that changes depending on how the light hits it. Yes, I wood say worth the wait.

And all these so close to me....
Seth, do you have an alarm???:doublethumbsup:
Or maybe my kitaeiji and yours can have little pettys?

I think you should beat the garage sale. I'll give you $15 for the entire knife collection. I'll even throw in a broken ipod in the ring.

Back