Tilman Leder still around?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidSnake03

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just checking to see if Tilman Leder is still around and making knives? Tried reaching out to him via email earlier this month and again this week and just total silence. The email was delivered so email is valid/still functional but radio silence from it.

Anyone know him or another way to contact him? Been itching to try his Niolox knives

Heard a couple years ago he had closed his books. Nor heard anything since.

Happy to send you a loaner if you just want to try one on.

That "set" is priced a little high (IMHO) but if anyone wanted just the gyuto I would kick in 200 for the petty.

Have to agree with Dave on pricing on that compared to recent gyutos for sale. I would ideally like to order something custom size wise but I’ll keep the set in mind :)

As an update, heard back from him just a bit ago, he’s still around making knives, maybe was just a bit backlogged on work or my previous email got lost? Can’t say what for certain on that and wouldn’t ever want to be harsh on a man I don’t know. Honestly just posted this to see if anyone had heard from him since I hadn’t in a bit when trying to reach out. All good now, he is still around. :)

Glad to hear you found him... hope you end up both benefiting 👍

Not all of us can be slick efficient communicators - I cut people a lot of slack that way because I need a lot of it myself sometimes.

He made me a custom gyuto in Niolox last year (last spring) ... received it in June (if I recall correctly). He was responsive (IMO) to all of my communication(s) with him and his knife production schedule was not an issue even during the start of the pandemic. Good guy to work with ... Love the blade ... FWIW ...

Yup appreciate the sentiments all, I was more checking in as well with Covid and things going on in the world to see if he was still around and everything was good/was still open and making knives. I know stuff is weird right now so not counting it against him at all.

Glad to hear you are digging the knife. I’m pretty excited about the prospective custom

Here are Mr. Tilman's pic's for that gyuto ... FWIW ... all the best! I asked for the re-curve and flat notch at the base ...

tom01.jpg
tom02.jpg
tom03.jpg

I can't find any recurve - have I missed something? Unless it's the recurve choil?

Recurve on the edge would be curving down at the heel, like some Western fillet knives do, or a lot of pocket knives. Recurve means backwards/inside curve, not extra curve.

Last edited:
I can't find any recurve - have I missed something? Unless it's the recurve choil?

Recurve on the edge would be curving down at the heel, like some Western fillet knives do, or a lot of pocket knives. Recurve means backwards/inside curve, not extra curve.

Excuse the misnomer - rocket scientist here still working on my engrish ... 56 years deep but still 'trying very very hardly' ... I meant the finger guard/cut-out on the heel/bolster/thingy majigy ... thing ...

Have a nice day ...

Nice one indeed!
What's the handle wood?
(Saya is walnut?)

Yo Senor ~ how's it!!! Yes Walnut / easier than trying to match the amboyna ... haven't had a whole lot of time with it ... moved, un-packed, travelled (buis) a bit since, moving again (long term rental while we build ... Shangri-La ... at least that is what I am hoping for - my kitchen will definitely be what I want for a change ...).

Yo Senor ~ how's it!!! Yes Walnut / easier than trying to match the amboyna ... haven't had a whole lot of time with it ... moved, un-packed, travelled (buis) a bit since, moving again (long term rental while we build ... Shangri-La ... at least that is what I am hoping for - my kitchen will definitely be what I want for a change ...).
Amboyna cabinets to match the handle?... Just an idea :cool:

Excuse the misnomer - rocket scientist here still working on my engrish ... 56 years deep but still 'trying very very hardly' ... I meant the finger guard/cut-out on the heel/bolster/thingy majigy ... thing ...

Have a nice day ...
That part absolutely is recurved... sorry for my confusion!

Back