Time for a new range

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by AT5760, Nov 13, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Nov 13, 2019 #1

AT5760

AT5760

AT5760

I’m buying a new house in a couple of weeks and will want to replace the electric range with gas. In my past two homes, I’ve used a Kenmore elite range. It's not fancy or high-end, but it gets the job done well enough. Assuming I can convince the missus (she doesn't use the stove), is it worth spending 4-5 times as much on a Wolf, BlueStar, Miele, etc? If so, what are folks experiences? Priorities are reliability, a consistent oven, and good temperature control on the cooktop.

2. Nov 14, 2019 #2

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member Supporting Member

BlueStar, and don't look back. 36" if you have the space.

3. Nov 14, 2019 #3

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

I've been very pleased with my Capital Culinarian. 5 of the burners are rated at 25k, and there's a simmer burner. The 25k burners go really low, too. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, and that's after using Viking and Wolf. Haven't tried a bluestar. 20191113_200203.jpeg 20191113_200350.jpeg 20191113_200416.jpeg

Carl Kotte likes this.
  4. Nov 14, 2019 #4

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

Oh, and the oven is precise and constant (I have three thermometers in there and check my temps pretty consistently).

5. Nov 14, 2019 #5

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

I have a Miele gas stove. It's ok but a little weak. I would go for something more powerful.

Miele ovens are fantastic.

6. Nov 14, 2019 #6

yubunski

yubunski

yubunski

Another vote for blue star. Finally made the switch last year. 25K burners but the real selling point for me is the built in wok ring.

7. Nov 14, 2019 #7

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

My Capital has a nice cast iron wok ring that can be swapped in and out for one of the normal grates. It was $100 extra, though.

8. Nov 14, 2019 #8

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

I don't think an added $100 cost really matters much with the overall cost of Capitals and BlueStars these days (and they are still a bit less $$ than the housewives of Beverly Hills 'commercial' residential ranges)

9. Nov 14, 2019 #9

AT5760

AT5760

AT5760

I was secretly hoping the reaction would be, “no way, they aren’t worth the premium.” Oh well. Now to convince my wife that it’s worth the extra cost.

M1k3 likes this.
  10. Nov 15, 2019 #10

JBroida

JBroida

JBroida

Founding Member KKF Vendor

I’ve got a thermador at home and love it... easy to care for, powerful enough for my needs and a great flame shape. Also, the infrared broiler that is almost the same as a salamander is sick.

11. Nov 15, 2019 #11

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

Yeah, a nice range really is worth it. The wok ring, especially.

Mine is a gas broiler. I wish it was ceramic. That's the only fault.
    20191114_194823.jpeg

12. Nov 15, 2019 #12

ACHiPo

ACHiPo

ACHiPo

Supporting Member

I'd always wanted a Wolf gas stove top. I put one in during my 2013 remodel. It is great for most things. I'd be awful tempted to get an induction top next time.

13. Nov 16, 2019 #13

madelinez

madelinez

madelinez

Skip Miele, we had one and had a number of problems over the years. The quality was no better than standard brands. My 20 year old Miele washing machine is built like a tank though so it does seem to depend on the product line.

14. Nov 16, 2019 #14

Chips

Chips

Chips

Has anyone here ever cooked on an Lacanche? I've only drooled over them on Instagram.

15. Nov 16, 2019 #15

Brian Weekley

Brian Weekley

Brian Weekley

Supporting Member

16. Nov 16, 2019 #16

Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin

Just make sure you can afford the fuel bill, if it's one of the original types. ;)

We love ours, and will miss it when we sell the house. Never have to pre-heat an oven, multiple ovens at steady temps with no cycling up and down, a warming oven and warming plate on top. But it ain't cheap to run, especially on propane. It's only practical in a cool climate because it's a 24/7 room heater, and it's no good for wok cooking. We added a Viking wok burner alongside it for high heat jobs.

17. Nov 16, 2019 #17

Brian Weekley

Brian Weekley

Brian Weekley

Supporting Member

My guess is that if you can afford to buy and install an Aga in the first instance you probably have little concern over the cost of propane, electricity or anything else. But they are wonderful. I wish I had one.

18. Nov 16, 2019 #18

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Not necessarily true. Many people save and save until they have enough $ to buy their dream this or that, and scramble to cover the operating/ maintenance costs afterward. Where I live natural gas has been pretty cheap the last couple of years, but before that there were a couple of years where the cost was about double. And those who use propane pay a lot more.

Brian Weekley likes this.
  19. Nov 16, 2019 #19

Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin

Yup. We have a 500 gallon propane tank buried in the yard to feed the beast.

It's a little more practical in places like the UK where the stove can use more fuel types, and it can be piped in for double-duty as a hot water heater. I don't think that option is available here in WA state.

20. Nov 17, 2019 #20

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

Wish I could afford a $6k range but that will never happen. Sucks to be poor.

M1k3 likes this.
  21. Nov 17, 2019 #21

Noodle

Noodle

Noodle

We just got a Bertazzoni which is supposedly a step up from Kenmore, GE, LG, etc. and so far “looks” great (can’t confirm performance as it should be hooked up later this week), but not as high end as Capital, Bluestar, etc. I’ve cooked a lot—at home and as a caterer—but always had low end electric ranges at home, so really looking forward to to gas. (I agree, it sucks to be poor). A powerful range is nice but I’ve had some of the best meals cooked on tiny, crap butane stoves and under powered appliances or open fires, so I try not to get hung up on brands. I’m more in the “it ain’t the stove, it’s the person using the stove” that determines the quality of the meal—camp. Also, some relatives of ours sell Lacanche and I looked at them. They are super nice, but spendy and also have some odd sizes (no 30” range), so just be aware. They also break down, just like anything, and service calls aren’t cheap out-of-warranty. Good luck though. Love to hear what you get.