Time to stop lurking! Hi from Brooklyn!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenbriel

Reaction score
Hi all, skulking around the forums for a while, but 25+ years in this kitchen knife obsession doesn't seem to be abating, so I figured it's time to sign up. ;)

The current stable:

Knives:
Masakage Koishi AS --- Gyuto 240mm, Bunka 170mm, Petty 75mm, Kamagata 110mm
Kohetsu Blue #2 Nashiji --- Nakiri 165mm, Sujihiki 270mm
Fujiwara FKM Honesuki 145mm
Tojiro Shirogami Usuba 180mm
Wusthof Classic --- 10" Chefs Extra Wide, 8" Chefs, 6" Chefs, Santoku, 4" parer (Ikon classic)
CCK Small cleaver
Cut Brooklyn - 280mm, 180mm, 90mm
Various Kiwis, slicers, boning knives, Mercer beater etc.

Stones:
Two big double-sided DMT diamond plates
Two double-sided Norton water stones
Lovely Belgian coticule and slurry stone

Cheers!

Thanks Rotivator, glad to be here!

To be completely honest, since I started buying the Japanese stuff they don't see so that much use, but boy they are pretty. When they did get more use it was mostly the 280 as you can see from the thumbprint below. :) I'd hate to part with them and not looking to, but I would probably sell them if the right offer came along.

I don't think Joel really makes 280s any more.

Crappy photo:

IMG_0482.jpeg

Thanks Rotivator, glad to be here!

To be completely honest, since I started buying the Japanese stuff they don't see so that much use, but boy they are pretty. When they did get more use it was mostly the 280 as you can see from the thumbprint below. :) I'd hate to part with them and not looking to, but I would probably sell them if the right offer came along.

I don't think Joel really makes 280s any more.

Crappy photo:

View attachment 143792
Love the thumbprint. Guessing the Koishi is getting a lot of use.

LOL thanks :)

Yeah, mostly the gyuto and bunka, and the nakiri sees a lot of use. I think that Kohetsu line from CKTG is amazing value (oddly put out with a different maker mark by Knifewear - not saying Knifewear are shady, I love them)! I’ve bought two more of that nakiri as gifts for a friend and my 11 year-old nephew. I’ll likely upgrade at some point but for $100 it’s stellar.

Every now and again I can’t resist the Kiwis, too! They’re just so fun!

LOL thanks :)

Yeah, mostly the gyuto and bunka, and the nakiri sees a lot of use. I think that Kohetsu line from CKTG is amazing value (oddly put out with a different maker mark by Knifewear - not saying Knifewear are shady, I love them)! I’ve bought two more of that nakiri as gifts for a friend and my 11 year-old nephew. I’ll likely upgrade at some point but for $100 it’s stellar.

Every now and again I can’t resist the Kiwis, too! They’re just so fun!
There are some terrific values out there. Munetoshi is another under the radar one. Yes, I like my kiwis too. Have an Asian market down the road that keeps a good stock .

Not heard of Munetoshi, thanks for the tip! I went to a HUGE Asian market in Brooklyn this week and asked where the knives were, fully expecting to see the whole kiwi range. They had maybe four crappy plastic handled paring knives. Still, the ingredient haul was well worth the trip.

There are some terrific values out there. Munetoshi is another under the radar one. Yes, I like my kiwis too. Have an Asian market down the road that keeps a good stock .
The Munetoshi look like beautiful blades, and I could grow to love the rustic handle, but what’s the deal with those ferrules?!

Not heard of Munetoshi, thanks for the tip! I went to a HUGE Asian market in Brooklyn this week and asked where the knives were, fully expecting to see the whole kiwi range. They had maybe four crappy plastic handled paring knives. Still, the ingredient haul was well worth the trip.
You bet.
The Munetoshi look like beautiful blades, and I could grow to love the rustic handle, but what’s the deal with those ferrules?!
I know what you mean, but honestly once you cut with it, you won't notice. The handle is comfortable. Great cutting feel, and edge retention.

I have not, but I think you’ve convinced me. I see one of these in my future! Did you shop here: Munetoshi Nashiji 165mm Nakiri - it was the first non-sword hit.

I had this in my favorites list which I guess is burnt oak?
https://www.**************.com/yofuwh1tana.htmlLove the look (and that has no ferrule at all)!

Cheers!

I don't know. I have bought a few knives from CKTG. let's test it. This isnt a recommendation I just clicked the first knife.
https://www.**************.com/dofo52mich13.html

I look forward to them! Great chatting, thanks for the awesome welcome. Stay sharp!
I look forward to them! Great chatting, thanks for the awesome welcome. Stay sharp!
Have you gone to Korin in tribeca or mtc kitchen on 44th? Both have good knife displays, mtc is better for stones.

Shop local whilst staying sharp

Have you gone to Korin in tribeca or mtc kitchen on 44th? Both have good knife displays, mtc is better for stones.

Shop local whilst staying sharp
You know, I weirdly have never been to Korin. Not sure why, I think I have a (possibly unfounded) impression of them being overpriced. I've got almost all of my knives from CKTG or Knifewear and had really good experiences with both. I had a small flaw in the handle of the Masakage 75mm petty and Knifewear rehandled it in a couple of days and covered all the shipping.

I am ashamed to say I've never heard of mtc kitchen, but it's going to be a lovely weekend and I have a motorcycle so they may both be getting a visit (though I don't have spare money right now so it ca be painful. I've been lusting after some chosera/naniwa or Shapton Glass stones, but my current setup gets my knives hair-popping sharp so hard to justify.

Thanks for the tip. Whereabouts in BK are you? I'm "South Slope" as the realtors like to call it.

Ri
You know, I weirdly have never been to Korin. Not sure why, I think I have a (possibly unfounded) impression of them being overpriced. I've got almost all of my knives from CKTG or Knifewear and had really good experiences with both. I had a small flaw in the handle of the Masakage 75mm petty and Knifewear rehandled it in a couple of days and covered all the shipping.

I am ashamed to say I've never heard of mtc kitchen, but it's going to be a lovely weekend and I have a motorcycle so they may both be getting a visit (though I don't have spare money right now so it ca be painful. I've been lusting after some chosera/naniwa or Shapton Glass stones, but my current setup gets my knives hair-popping sharp so hard to justify.

Thanks for the tip. Whereabouts in BK are you? I'm "South Slope" as the realtors like to call it.

Im up by borough hall.

MTC isn’t open on the weekends iirc. I think Korin is worth checking out, but I’ve bought more tableware there than knives. MTC I really mostly get stones or cheap knives from. Definitely worth the time to look. There’s a place in sunset park called yanagi knife, I’ve never been there personally. Pretty close to you, like 54th street

MTC isn’t open on the weekends iirc. I think Korin is worth checking out, but I’ve bought more tableware there than knives. MTC I really mostly get stones or cheap knives from. Definitely worth the time to look. There’s a place in sunset park called yanagi knife, I’ve never been there personally. Pretty close to you, like 54th street

Nice, when I first came to the states I lived on Henry btwn Clark and Pierrepont.

Thanks for the info, I’m going to check all three out!

Latest posts

Back