Time to upgrade my Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerreemon

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am on the hunt for a new Gyuto to replace my Misono UX 10 210mm gyuto in Swedish steel.

I have been looking at getting a Kono HD2 due to a retailer in vancouver selling them, however am impartial to getting a laser.
I just want something that holds a great edge and is super sharp. As i have trolled through the forums, seems the HD2 is overpriced for what it is and there are other options out there that are as good or better for the price.

No preference to stainless steal or Carbon...i am proficient in sharpening and usually do so with my knives once every fortnight. Was leaning towards carbon steel, however the more i read it seems both types of steel holds a great edge and are very sharp.

I am not a knife collector, but am looking for something special to mark my time over on this side of the world.

Look forward to hearing the suggestions.

Cheers.

Vancouver, Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese Octagonal handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 500 CAD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home, but use in a professional environment once or twice a week.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Mutli task knife: chopping veg, slicing, trimming meat...i have a CCK cleaver as my chopper

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Misono UX 10 Gyuto 210mm in swedish stainless steel

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Chopping & slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Better sharpness & edge retention, good FF

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes, confident in sharpening. Currently sharpen my knives once every 2 weeks (Suehiro 300 & 1000, Rika 5000, leather strop)

What about the Watanabe that's on B/S/T at the moment?

EDIT: ah wrong handle shape, just noticed.

Konosuke profiles are pretty generic, although the knives
are well balanced and well finished.

Do you have any guidance to give us on profile, grind (workhorse vs laser, wide or narrow bevel) and taper?

For sharpness and edge retention, you could look at a PM steel such as R2 or SRS15.

The KnS Shinko Kurokumo has nice F&F in a middleweight with a gently curved profile. It's R2 steel with long edge retention and sharpenability that isn't too bad, all wrapped up in a muted damascus cladding. A fairly tall blade.

Gesshin Kagero is also worth a look. A fair bit thinner (without being a lAser) also with a gently curved profile. Very long edge retention, sharpenability also not too bad. The example that I saw had very nice F&F but it had been rehandled and I don't know whether it had had some spa work done to the blade or not.

You could also look at aogami super steel. I was going to suggest the Migaki Kurosaki AS from KnS, but they are sold out. Many of the other options are kurochi knives which may or may not fit into your criteria of good F&F.

Blue 2 can have reasonable edge retention and great sharpenability.

Look at Tanaka Najishi (also available in Ginsanko which is a little less sharpenable but is stainless). The KnS versions are a little more expensive but the handles and F&F on them are great. A quite curved profile in a thinnish wide bevel knife.

I think that Watanabe can be had with octagonal handles but I don't know whether this option would put it outof your price range. These are great thicker workhorse blades. The steel is said to be HT very hard and its edge retention does seem to be quite long.

If you are prepared to go for other handle shapes, there are other options.

Last edited:
Back