Tips for taking a good choil shot

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I suppose it's not possible that I am the world's worst at taking choil shots. There's always someone better, and someone worse. But I think I'm in the running.

I wanted to start a thread. I had a theme, and a title, and everything, but part of the idea was to provide a nice choil shot of a knife. When I try to do that, I get something like this.

Bad Choil.JPG

What are the tricks? How do you take a good choil shot, instead of a complete mess like in the picture?

Use a neutral background so the camera/phone's autofocus doesn't try to focus on a tapestry pattern (or whatever) instead of your knife.
Lenses have a minimum distance for them to focus properly; move your camera/phone back far enough from the choil for the lens to be able to focus well.

Use a light background like a paper towel and the choil will snap into focus - the lens needs some contrast and a paper towel won’t give it anything else to focus on.

Also hold the phone upside down to align the lens with the choil. No need to get super-close to the choil with the lens, just crop the photo after.

C0FF2FD6-3B82-476D-A40C-7FD2C0B5CB7F.jpeg

Yup, the upside-down phone camera trick is the way to go. With an octagonal handle you can just rest it on the flat, point towards a blank wall, and pull it back just far enough to get in focus.

You can also put your finger next to the choil, so the camera lens focuses at the distance of your finger instead of where it's focusing currently which is the background.

Alternatively, if you have a manual focus mode on your camera/phone that works too

If your phone has an option for a small amount of zoom in, that'll allow you to hold the phone farther away, to allow for focus, while getting a good closeup.

Last edited:
All good tips.

I also use the app Camera+ on iPhone. It has manual focus and also highlights the part of the photo the shot is focused on currently. So you’re guaranteed to get crisp and clear shots of the choil within physical limits of your device.

AD5997C1-2C1E-4320-A20A-16D7FD544CCB.jpeg

-Don´t hold the knife in your hand
-Use a neutral background is helpful
-Always make pictures with daylight
-Don´t use autofocus! Manual Focus is the way to go
-Note the minimum focus distance of your lens

Latest posts

Back