To honyaki or not to honyaki...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakiriknaifuwaifu

Reaction score
For those who own or have owned honyaki knives, could you please discuss the pros and cons of performance, use, and maintenance?

In other words, please convince me to not buy one and/or custom order a honyaki nakiri.

Thanks,
NKW

In other words, please convince me to not buy one and/or custom order a honyaki nakiri.
Sorry only enablers here.
images.png

For those who own or have owned honyaki knives, could you please discuss the pros and cons of performance, use, and maintenance?

Thanks,
NKW

There are no advantages at all in performance, use or maintenance. It’s just a wavy line.

Fine print: most honyaki are less reactive than iron clad knives. the soft spine helps if one (in particular the maker) wants to straighten the knife. with japanese knives, more care is usually put into the grind and fit and finish of honyaki blades, although I’m not sure if that’s as true for western makers.

Last edited:
I also like to enable but real talk there is minimal if any performance advantages and is much more of a pain to maintain both from an aesthetic value and ease of thinning compared to a san mai co struction. That being said some people claim they get better feesback cutting with them. I been using them for years and never really noticed a difference. All that being said get one anyways cus why not

I also like to enable but real talk there is minimal if any performance advantages and is much more of a pain to maintain both from an aesthetic value and ease of thinning compared to a san mai co struction. That being said some people claim they get better feesback cutting with them. I been using them for years and never really noticed a difference. All that being said get one anyways cus why not
The theory is that the softer spine absorbs more of the impact force... I would not be surprised if 50-95% of people couldn’t tell.

as far as the functional art, they are distinct and more difficult. The value to that will vary from person to person.

Or instead of one honyaki, you buy two other knives. Depends where're you're at with what you want to try.

Buying a honyaki from a western maker is a good compromise. It's generally less expensive than honyakis from Japanese makers but gives you the opportunity to try out honyakis. The ones that I have are truly remarkable, but I wouldn't say that is because they are honyakis. Rather, only good smiths can pull them off (in general). I say go for it!

Buying a honyaki from a western maker is a good compromise. It's generally less expensive than honyakis from Japanese makers but gives you the opportunity to try out honyakis. The ones that I have are truly remarkable, but I wouldn't say that is because they are honyakis. Rather, only good smiths can pull them off (in general). I say go for it!
What makers are you liking?

Go for it, because the patina and honyaki are the best friends

Yanick, Tansu, Antzenberg, Dalman are some of the others that make them.

Japanese makers seem to put more effort into honyaki and so in that sense they might be better knives, not because they are honyaki construction. They also seem to make them harder in general. Western makers don't seem to charge much more for honyaki most of the time and don't really make a big deal about it.

Latest posts

Back