To those that use nakiris in a professional kitchen what exactly do you like about it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aszma

Reaction score
so ive been working in a professional setting for about 5 years now and have been a knife nerd for about 3 of those years but ive recently downsized my knife kit from 9 knives to 3. There were many reasons to do so, one i was moving around a lot so in terms of travel it made me much lighter and two i just didnt feel like i NEEDED them not to say they wernt useful but there was a lot of over lap in what they were used for. One of the first knives i sold off was my nakiri and if im being super honestly i really enjoyed using my nakiri but for any job my nakiri could do my 240mm gyuto could also do and at work its just not as practical to have several knives on my board constantly switching between tasks when i can use my gyuto for most of my work. Not trying to bash anyone who uses a nakiri bc if we are being honest the main reason im posting this is to maybe give myself an excuse to buy another one but id just like to hear from other people who cook for a living why and how much use their nakiri gets.

I mean realistically how often is the tip of your knife needed or useful? I am a huge user of Nakiri and other cleaver in pro kitchen. I have found they are much easier to throw on a stone and sharpen in a hurry as well as take up less space on a crowded line. Most of my coworkers want nothing to do with the weird Nakiri knife but if I bring out a nice Gyuto it’s pass around show and tell time also.

I’ve been cooking professionally for almost 10 years. I carry a Watanabe pro nakiri. I certainly don’t need to have it in my kit. Realistically you can do almost anything with a gyuto, however sometimes I find that my nakiri is better at certain tasks and definitely more of a joy to use. I like options.

I know zero chefs that use nakiri in pro kitchens. And for this reason- a gyuto can do anything a nakiri can do, and the nakiri cannot do everything a gyuto can do. There’s a reason why nakiri live largely in the collections of home cook’s/collector’s kitchens. I had a nakiri for 1 year when I started cooking and immediately realized how limited its range of work was.

How often is the tip needed or useful?! Like all f’n day!! [emoji23] I guess it depends on how technical or finesse your cooking is, if you’re chopping veg for stir fries, then great- get a nakiri. But butchering proteins and highly technical garnishes- 80% of higher end cooking requires detailed and intentional cuts.

*not taking away way from those wizards that crush everything with giant Chinese style cleavers, but these are indeed rare beasts.

Last edited:
Sounds like this one is solved.Buy a nakiri if..
A. You work in a low end kitchen. B. You don’t mind working without a tip sometimes C. You make stir-fry or D. You just enjoy using a nakiri sometimes lol.

Never used a nakiri or santoku at work. Use better half takamura r2 santoku at home it's the only stainless knife on mag block. Also have a sugi stainless cleaver. own two watanabe's. Since he makes nakiri's might be tempted but nah more of a cleaver guy

I like nakiris. Nothing more satisfying then blowing through a bunch of mushrooms with a nakiri. Also they don't take up much space and can blow through lots of veg. That being said, I can't argue that a 240 can't do all of that and more. I would own a nakiri if it was ap particular one I liked alot, but not just to own a nakiri. I loved my shig 180, but let it go, only for need of cash. I currently only own a 210 Toyama nakiri and it's a beast that I love.

I’ll chime in too. There’s nothing that a gyuto can’t do which is why they’re the knife of choice in pro kitchens. But there’s something to be said for a purpose built tool and if you’re processing enough produce then it’s going to be worthwhile if you like the nakiri.

I like nakiris. Nothing more satisfying then blowing through a bunch of mushrooms with a nakiri. Also they don't take up much space and can blow through lots of veg. That being said, I can't argue that a 240 can't do all of that and more. I would own a nakiri if it was ap particular one I liked alot, but not just to own a nakiri. I loved my shig 180, but let it go, only for need of cash. I currently only own a 210 Toyama nakiri and it's a beast that I love.
Ohh damn ive been looking at that toyama nakiri for some time looks almost like a short cleaver i know id never buy it but how does it feel in use?

Toyama 210 is a beast. It’s also not really comparable to a 165 or 180 nakiri. It’s a much more brutal proposition.
Nakiris are just plain fun to use.

I have owned numerous nakiri over the years. I have two in my home block now. I am periodically allured towards them, only for them to sit in my kit nearly unused. I have a 180 Gihei Blue #2 currently. It's pretty. Cuts good enough. It has a great handle and matching saya. I've used it twice...probably should sell it.

One of my cooks uses a 180 wat nakiri and a 270 toyama suji instead of a gyuto. He feels the combo does the job better than a single gyuto. Add in his tojiro Western deba for whacking through chicken spines and he's got a solid knife kit.

Ohh damn ive been looking at that toyama nakiri for some time looks almost like a short cleaver i know id never buy it but how does it feel in use?

Your right it kind of is a short cleaver, but too me it still feels like a very large nakiri. I love it in use. Between the weight and the smooth grind it drops through food with the very best of them. I don't think there is a knife I would prefer to fine juliene carrots, for speed, over it. It's probably one of my favorite overall knives.

Latest posts

Back