Tojiro Knife Set Arrive - My experience

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jm2hill

Banned
Reaction score
Short story (not!) on my first day with j-knives

Part 1 :)
Left for work at 7:30 got to work at 8:30 sat down at my desk and checked the tracking info. I saw that it was on the truck for delivery and decided went it fails to deliver to my home cause I'm not there and it gets to the post office for pick up I was leaving work. 10 o clock comes by and I see its at the post office, I leave work pick it up and am super excited!

Get home everything looks good so I get ready to cut and so far I love it! First j-knife experience and its going great. To sum up what I cut for the day:
8 chicken breasts, 4 for stir fry, 4 for kebabs
minced some beef for burgers
onion, pepers,pineapple, carrots, tomato all for the stirfry/kebabs.
The knives fall through the fruits/vegies with hardly any pressure.
Loving it, which moves on to part two:

Part two (lesson learned):
dull knives suck! Sharp knifes hurt! :). I have two nice and deep cuts on my thumb from going into it with the gyuto. It took a while for me to get used to it but when it falls through the fruit I'm just not expecting it and the thumb got in the way. That'll teach me to not focus! Once that happened and I glued it up and started focusing. No more cuts occurred.

Part three (sharpening's hard):

The nakiri was a bit dull OOTB (couldn't thrust cut paper) and I figured might as well try sharpen it. First test was on an old swiss army knife. Couldn't pass the paper test at all push pull or thurst. Would either tear it or just bend it. started on a 400 then proceded my way up to 10 000. In short, theres a whole lot of scratches on the knife now, but it can cut my finger real easy, paper too. I assumed my sharpening wouldn't work so I ran it accross my index finger. Low and behold that one has a bandaid too :).

Sharpened the Nakiri up to 10 000 as well. Figured it may not hold its edge for long at that grit, but I can now push cut paper pretty darn well so I think its a pretty good sharpening job on that too. It is also scratched up now tho so not quite as pretty to look at.

I tried to take pictures of you guys. I mounted a knife magnet on the wall as well for quick access while cooking and I think it looks pretty cool. However I left the camera charger somewhere and I can't find it. Which leads me to believe it is somewhere in africa right now and you won't be getting pictures anytime soon! I will take a better look monday after the long weekend!

Wasn't really sure where to post this, but I figured as you guys have taught me a lot you may be interested in my experience.

Off to the cottage tomorrow, Gyuto and nakiri coming with me. Really wish I had a honesuki for fish in case I catch a good one, but that can be part of another purchase.

Anyway, thanks again. and pictures to come well if my charger makes it home!

Good read, thanks. Looking forward to seeing the pics, and congrats on the new knives.

P.S.please take extra bandages to the cottage.

The tojiro DP is a nice knife to practice sharpening. You will get scratches on the side of the blade, but, the cladding is very soft and cleans up easily. Just get some 600grit wet/dry sandpaper and a rubber block to put a uniform finish on it.

Sounds like fun! The first knife I ever got so sharp that is startled me was a Swiss Army knife. Good design.

congrats on going to the "next level!"

Latest posts

Back