Tojiro

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Reaction score
After a very disappointing experience with the Zwilling Kramer this week, I am back in the market for a chef's knife. I have the same restriction as last time in that my merchandise credit will be with Cutleryandmore online (and now, A LOT more credit!). They have some good knives, though not all the ones many of you on this board like.

I'm curious about people's experience with the Tojiro series. I had a Tojiro DP some years ago and hated the blocky handle, though the blade is quite good (VG 10). The handle can be modified; the folks at Epicurean Edge said they'd do that for a modest fee. I'm also intrigued by the new Tojiro Senkou classic, a damascus pattern with VG 10 again at the core and a Micarta handle (I don't even know what this is; anyone?). Does anyone have experience with this knife or others in the Tojiro line? The other principal contender now is MAC Professional series (240mm). Any thoughts about such a comparison? Other possibilities include Global (though I don't like the handle much) or Tamahagane (never handled this knife).

Suggestions/advice much appreciated.

yeah I'd go for Lefty's suggestion or maybe a Henckels Twin Cermax. VG10 ain't bad but these are much better value

I really like my Tojiro DP (my first of a dozen Japanese knives), but considering your budget, you could do quite a lot better.

Why the Miyabi? I was just noticing that Cook's Illustrated (Nov./Dec. 2009) gave it a Not Recommended rating. Worst of both worlds, European and Japanese they said. What do you like about it out of curiosity? And Henckels Twin Cermax? Can I ask why?

I can't say much about the Miyabi except there are so many Miyabi series...some are quite good, some not so good. I give very little credence to anything Cook's Illustrated has to say about most anything....especially knives. ;-)

Why the Miyabi? I was just noticing that Cook's Illustrated (Nov./Dec. 2009) gave it a Not Recommended rating. Worst of both worlds, European and Japanese they said. What do you like about it out of curiosity? And Henckels Twin Cermax? Can I ask why?

They are both made from ZDP-189 steel at hrc 66, which is highly regarded and usually very very expensive and should be far far superior to VG10. A 240 Miyabi 7000MC gyuto is $180, a 240 ZDP 189 Konosuke at cktg is $700. They don't seem to have a 240 Cermax so I'd go with Lefty's suggestion. I think they both looks pretty nice too personally

Micarta is a phenolic material, using a paper, linen or canvas material that is filled with phenolic and then cured under heat and pressure. Micarta is hard, dense and stable; it won't absorb much moisture and is very durable. It can be sanded rough for grippyness when wet (220 grit finish), or polished to a shine, or anywhere in between. Micarta has small pores in it that water can get into, but I usually rub a oil finish into the handle (tru oil, tung oil, lin-speed oil) which mostly fills the pores, otherwise dirt and oils from your hands will get into the pores and make the material darker, but not uniformly. It won't really absorb water, though, it's jus the tiny pores on the surface. It's a step above the pakkawood/dymondwood used on most Japanese Western style kitchen knives and usually comes polished on the Japanese style knives I had seen it on.

Back