Toku Atsuraï

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there are much more expensive knives out there... thank you (answering myself for the "I think you have to be rich to buy cheap." as 200$ may look cheap)
Hi, I've never tried Masakage knives myself but you should find some info using the search function. I had looked at the Masakage Koishi before but decided on the Kurosaki shizuku instead. Why do you want a santoku if I may ask? My first japanese knife was a santoku but after buying my gyutos, I never really used the santoku again. If you were to buy just a gyuto and a petty, you could get pretty good knives for 600$. Are we talking CDN or USD by the way?

Hi, I've never tried Masakage knives myself but you should find some info using the search function. I had looked at the Masakage Koishi before but decided on the Kurosaki shizuku instead. Why do you want a santoku if I may ask? My first japanese knife was a santoku but after buying my gyutos, I never really used the santoku again. If you were to buy just a gyuto and a petty, you could get pretty good knives for 600$. Are we talking CDN or USD by the way?

CAD$. I don't know. I tought a santoku was an all around knife. I prefer the shape as well. But it looks like a gyuto is THE knife to have. I am very new to cooking but my wife is kinda tired to cook every day and I cannot imagine myself using the knives she uses. They cut so bad it is dangerous.

The santoku is indeed sold as an all around knife but I find it less useful than a gyuto. By the way, if you'd like recommandations on your purchase, you can fill out the which knife to buy questionnaire and you should get lots of advice and probably some info on Masakage knives.

Back