Toku Atsuraï

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francois601

Reaction score
Hi every one
Can someone tell me what is (or who is) Toku Atsuraï.
L'émouleur is selling several knives by that name in Montréal and I cannot find details on the web (including here) about it
I could find Takefu V-Toku 1 and 2 – They are steel manufacturers, and V-Toku 1 and 2 are alloys similar to Blue steel
And of course, Toku is the "virtue" or "use" part in Santoku
Atsuraï doesn't ring anything in Google…

Can someone help ?

François

Maybe it's the name of the kid slaving away in their sweatshop?

Looks like a branding that uses a few OEM. Some look quite nice. They have some pics on Instagram and their website, and the styles look to be varied (some like hinoura, some like itou, etc.). Prices are a bit out there though, I think.

For what it's worth, their brand seems to be 特誂為 志兜

I didn't notice before that all of the knives were named like that... It seems to support the branding thing... Thanks XooMG

日本製特誂志兜 青紙鍛造

You will likely find some information by searching for Minamoto blue nashiji.

Thanks XooMg… You're a real Pro.
I found this : http://www.**************.com/minabl2pe13.html
It is exactly my knife (with detailed information). The down side is that I paid twice the price…
Nevertheless it was my first Japanese knife and it hooked me to them forever…
I now own a Moritaka kiritsuke, a Tanaka deba, a Kitaoka usuba and a Sakaï yanagiba from ChefKifeToGo
I love them all
Thanks again

By the way… Maybe it not appropriate but I would like to know why CKTG is "not allowed here"…
Should I avoid to by knives there ?
Is there a thread here I should look for here ?

Be prepared for a lot of information on popcorn. Besides what you want to know of course.

and anout this one
toku atsurai shapu
at l'emouleur but cant find anything on web
you have idea XooMg ?

This is the picture
Where I can find info about this knife

Attachments

• F5FFEA5D-747D-44BC-B015-B1AA041520B3.png
    F5FFEA5D-747D-44BC-B015-B1AA041520B3.png
    602.1 KB · Views: 339
the Quebecoise shop... they sell some of the rebranded OEM knives with 3 times the price. maybe because it's from Quebec? I saw bunch of Yoshikane, Tadafusa, Hinoura etc with their brand name and 3-8 times the original prices.

the Quebecoise shop... they sell some of the rebranded OEM knives with 3 times the price. maybe because it's from Quebec? I saw bunch of Yoshikane, Tadafusa, Hinoura etc with their brand name and 3-8 times the original prices.
yep, anything that shop sells is just fancied up names and prices from 3X to 10X

Wow. Never seen a thousand dollar Tadafusa before.
I bought my first knife there. The prices are indeed insanely high. I think he mostly aims for the Outremont crowd who want a fancy, good looking and good cutting knife and don't care about prices (or about who makes the knfe :) )

I have to admit Iwas quite pi**ed when I started learning more about Japanese knives and found out my precious 450$ (CAN) knife was a 230$ (CAN) Yoshikane. If he was to sell Mazakis, he would probably charge at least 600USD for a 240 gyuto.

I bought my first knife there. The prices are indeed insanely high. I think he mostly aims for the Outremont crowd who want a fancy, good looking and good cutting knife and don't care about prices (or about who makes the knfe :) )

I have to admit Iwas quite pi**ed when I started learning more about Japanese knives and found out my precious 450$ (CAN) knife was a 230$ (CAN) Yoshikane. If he was to sell Mazakis, he would probably charge at least 600USD for a 240 gyuto.

Where would you buy a knife now? For someone who doesn't want to make the same mistake.

Toku Atsurai means Special Made/Crafted. There are variations like Betsu Atsurai that means also Special Made, Toku Sei (this is also Special Made), and Betsu Uchi (Special Forged). These words sometimes mean virtually nothing, only used to make knives look more special. Some brands (e.g. Aritsugu) use these words as series names, but still, the words themselves do not provide any information.

Atsurae 誂え specifically means "Made to order".
Whether the knife actually is or not, don't know.

I’ve got a handful from that shop. Things go on close out from time to time making the prices much more reasonable. The knives are all nice and the handles generally unique / not standard.

I’m fairly certain my TA “Hanma” gyuto is a Konosuke Sanjo.

Where would you buy a knife now? For someone who doesn't want to make the same mistake.
My second knife (Kurosaki Shizuky gyuto in R2)I bought from Alambika (not a huge selection but sometimes some interesting knives) because I really wanted to see the knife in person before buying.
Then I just ordered online from Japanese Natural Stones because I wanted to try a Mazaki.
If you're in Montreal, I think ordering online or buying from BST would be your best bet unless you see a knife you would like at Alambika as their prices are usually fair.

My second knife (Kurosaki Shizuky gyuto in R2)I bought from Alambika (not a huge selection but sometimes some interesting knives) because I really wanted to see the knife in person before buying.
Then I just ordered online from Japanese Natural Stones because I wanted to try a Mazaki.
If you're in Montreal, I think ordering online or buying from BST would be your best bet unless you see a knife you would like at Alambika as their prices are usually fair.

Yes I'm in Montreal. As I was waiting for your answer I looked on knifewear. Are Masakage knives any good? I plan on buying a santoku or gyuto and a petty 120mm as these are the only knives I use in the kitchen. Any recommendations? Theses are the firsts knives I'll be buying and I'm wiling to pay 200$ each as a set of 6 Global knives are about 600$ and that's what I was about to buy next. I hate buying cheap stuff and I take care of it. I think you have to be rich to buy cheap.

Back