Tokyo Knife Shops

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Reaction score
My SO is headed to Tokyo soon, and naturally I want her to bring back a Gyuto for me. Id love for her to be able to find something made from HAP40 or similar.

Any shops you know of that dont gouge westerners on price and will carry something like this? What is the typical savings buying there vs USA vendor?

Any other tips or items I should have her grab while in country that are significantly cheaper?

If you looking for “exotic” steel like zdp189, hap40,yrx7 etc. try look at KNS(knives and stones) website. Plus point is you could get one with a very nice handle and saya with a friendly price.
If you buying direct from Japan, base on my experience, most japanese shopkeeper has limited english, either you know what you want (you have prepared the picture of the knife you want and translation ready) or you can try out local famous knife maker. Fyi, within Tsukiji and kappabashi shops already selling thousands of varieties of brand.
Good thing if you buy from your local vendor is, the knives which came from Japan have been sorted and selected and whatever they have ready in showroom is definitely worth the price. I have had many experience buying direct (by online) from japanese knife maker, and receive unsatisfied product. (Bent knife, the tang is not straight, chip, grind is not done properly and many more)
Just my 2cent.

Jim

Kamata on Kapabashi has loads of hap40/that style of knife. Very western/user friendly and English speaking.

Thanks!

She will have a local colleague with her who can translate and help negotiate.

Any other products worth having her grab while there?

Yeah, grab yourself a handful of the little pocket folding knives with the brass casing. They keep them on the counter at the register (at Kamata) for like 16$ apiece. Here in the states they go for 40 and upwards of 80, even seen them go at 100[emoji33] (with different finishes of course). But they’re great gifts and super handy.

Any shops you know of that dont gouge westerners on price and will carry something like this?

There are some 2.6million foreigners visiting Japan every month. You need to be in Tokyo to appreciate just how many
"Westerners" are there at any given time, many living and working there. If a knife shop "gouges" westerners, rest assured they "gouge" everybody.

The only ‘gouging’ happening on Kappabashi is down the street at tsubaya by way of ku kato[emoji23]

Back