Small plate Tonjiru. Hearty pork miso soup

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made some tonjiru for some friends that just had a baby, and I remembered to snap some photos right after I cut up the vegetables .

Tonjiru is essentially miso soup to the max. Traditional miso soup is thin. Whereas tonjiru is amped up with fatty pork and tons of vegetables. This will make about a gallon of soup, so plenty to go around to family and friends.

Tools:
Stove
6 qt pot
Ladle
Sticks

ingredients:
1/2 lb thinly sliced pork. I like belly, but today they had some shoulder so I gave that a whirl.
1 block firm tofu
1 pack abura-age. This is likely the only thing you won’t find at a western grocer these days. Skip if you can’t find it.
1 clove garlic
1 gobo root
1 small daikon
2 medium carrots
1 small onion
4 small taro root
Handful dried shiitake, or fresh if you want
1/2 cup miso
2 teaspoons hondashi
1-2 teaspoon salt
2 qts water

First things first you’ll need a different knife for each type of vegetable you cut.
1E773DDD-5F74-4D3A-BD09-DBFBCAA5FB8C.jpeg

here are your mis.
5240A229-9DC7-4659-8FAF-F1A165074473.jpeg

chop up that pork and sauté, I like to add garlic, my mom says not to.
67E6325B-522C-4371-8189-5F7ECE147FBE.jpeg

add your 2 qts water, bring to boil, rehydrate mushies. This step is kinda messy and greasy, but i like the flavor that dried shiitake gives, and they’re impossible to cut dried.
2BD6BC82-78FB-43F0-860B-C2044499C558.jpeg

And all your veg in and those chopped mushies, let that come to boil.
A0F5AED5-98FC-47D6-AAEF-7E4C18878BC9.jpeg

Dissolve your miso like so, 1/2 cup is good for this amount of water
D4859CA1-1E99-4514-B4CC-F391EAE3F6EB.jpeg

add magic powder. 2 teaspoons hondashi, and your salt.
07CC35AF-868E-45CB-BC23-45370FC65C99.jpeg

last add your tofu, firmest you can get. I like to open this pack and set it on some paper towels before cutting so excess water leeches out. Let all that simmer for about 15 min or until your vegetables are cooked
9AA480B2-EAB9-45BD-A51B-2758AF0B42A1.jpeg

I like to garnish mine with scallions. Itadakimasu!
EAA01D1D-857C-4FDD-AF7B-E7BEF94EAA9F.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice!

But I have a bone to pick with you. You list 7 "Vegetables" but only show 4 knives. And don't tell me you don't chop your water or slice your salt...

needs noodles...
great photos
netflix has short story features that are based at a Tokyo noodle shop
very satisfying to do the prep and then work with the wok

Followed your recipe tonight, excellent, thanks for sharing!

Added a drizzle of toasted sesame oil and piece of chashu to compliment the pork broth. First time cooking with greater burdock, really like the woody like flavor it added.
IMG_1347.jpg

Pickled burdock is delicious. Works really well in sushi rolls, to add texture.

i love this. I do this myself from time to time, and especially after watching Midnight Diner :D

Awesome recipe Danzo! I had to substitute some fish sauce and soy sauce to the broth as I could not locate the hondashi (also could not find anyone who could point me to it) at the Asian grocery store in my neck of the woods in North Seattle. It is more Chinese and Vietnamese-centric. I will have to look for it next time I am Uwajimaya since it tends to be more Japanese.

Overall it was awesome. I did add some white rice vinegar to give it a bit more acidity. Whole family crushed it though so it will be getting made again in the near future.

Awesome recipe Danzo! I had to substitute some fish sauce and soy sauce to the broth as I could not locate the hondashi (also could not find anyone who could point me to it) at the Asian grocery store in my neck of the woods in North Seattle. It is more Chinese and Vietnamese-centric. I will have to look for it next time I am Uwajimaya since it tends to be more Japanese.

Overall it was awesome. I did add some white rice vinegar to give it a bit more acidity. Whole family crushed it though so it will be getting made again in the near future.

which store? AFC? Oak tree?

Damn my Caucasian eyes, I looked in that isle as it said soup bases but the shear volume of things that I have no culinary idea how to use was overwhelming. I asked a couple people who worked there but they looked terrified like I was going to give them the Corona Gack and said they didn't know. It was pretty odd there as the store was requiring all employees to where a mask.

I will be making this again as we destroyed 3 quarts of it and had it for 3 separate meals. I love the fatty pork with the miso. It was the first time I gobo root too. Interesting flavor and very exotic to me at least.

Danzo, do you always add the abura-age when you add the roots? The stuff that AFC had didn't hold up very well during the final 10 minutes of simmering. Could it be added just before service or does it need some time to cook?

Last edited:
Damn my Caucasian eyes, I looked in that isle as it said soup bases but the shear volume of things that I have no culinary idea how to use was overwhelming. I asked a couple people who worked there but they looked terrified like I was going to give them the Corona Gack and said they didn't know. It was pretty odd there as the store was requiring all employees to where a mask.

I will be making this again as we destroyed 3 quarts of it and had it for 3 separate meals. I love the fatty pork with the miso. It was the first time I gobo root too. Interesting flavor and very exotic to me at least.

Danzo, do you always add the abura-age when you add the roots? The stuff that AFC had didn't hold up very well during the final 10 minutes of simmering. Could it be added just before service or does it need some time to cook?
Its pretty much a finished product so it can wait til the end. The Japanese stuff holds up well, I think that may be the one thing that they don’t have, or at least some Chinese counterpart that’s not quite legit. The real deal will hold.

Latest posts

Back