tools to treat starched wooden cutting boards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boblob

Reaction score
i am trying to decide how can i fix my scratched wooden board
what would be the best method ?
should i get a stanley 80 cabinet scraper or a card scraper ?
also is the burnisher rod a must have or a screwdriver can be used ?
is there a better way to treat wooden boards ?
i never used either a cabinet scraper or a card scraper....
have a nice day

Bob

Agree, I'd just use my random orbit sander. If I didn't have one then just a block sander. Wash thoroughly to get rid of the grit afterwards.

Some people might be worried about stray grit stuck in the wood; if you're one of those types then yes, the card scraper would be the way to go. Might be tricky to use on end-grain though if you're inexperienced.

Whatever tool you own would work best. Have you been chopping with a cleaver on it? You may have to get a little more serious on it.

Whatever tool you own would work best. Have you been chopping with a cleaver on it? You may have to get a little more serious on it.
it is a very old end grain board made from ikea i think its acaia wood. my family cuts bread on it with bread knife therefore it is deeply scratched ......

How deep are the scratches? Pics?

Palm sander would be quick.

it is a very old end grain board made from ikea i think its acaia wood. my family cuts bread on it with bread knife therefore it is deeply scratched ......

I have used a board scraper that I purchased from Woodcraft...I also practiced Alot on pine boards before I tried to clean up my Boardsmith....There is definitely a learning curve and a bit of skill use it.

Ah. In that case I would keep it as is and for tasks like bread cutting and then buy yourself a new one with house rules of no bread cutting on it. Being serious.

Ah. In that case I would keep it as is and for tasks like bread cutting and then buy yourself a new one with house rules of no bread cutting on it. Being serious.
i don't like throwing stuff to the trash ....

I have used a board scraper that I purchased from Woodcraft...I also practiced Alot on pine boards before I tried to clean up my Boardsmith....There is definitely a learning curve and a bit of skill use it.
did you use a cabinet scraper or a card scraper you hold in your hands ?
the cabinet scraper seems superior

He wasn't saying you should.

The thing is, cutting bread on it with a bread knife will mess it up again in no time. So it would not be worth restoring probably.
yeha cant convince them to stop and i dont like how the board is in its condition ....

That's why he suggested you get another board. One for cutting bread and stuff with serrated knives and another one for stuff that won't scratch your board.
Either get a new board for the other things or get a cheap board for the bread and repair yours. Your choice

Exactly. Retain this as your bread board, get something better as a main board, and make it clear that the chewed up bread board is the one to be used with serrated knives. This one will just get chewed up all over again when you use it with a bread knife, regardless of how well you fix it.

@Jovidah @miggus @Neutri
i still need a plan on how to treat a new nice board for when it will get scratched from my regular non serrated knives
cant find a stanley 80 anywhere :(

Better get a plan for treating that nice new board with mineral oil. If you don't otherwise mistreat it, it won't need anything but a regular oiling for years!

@boblob: Like Lars said - oil it, and unless you are doing really heavy stuff like hacking through bones, it will last a loooooong time.
4H2A2883.jpg

I have been cooking several meals every week on this board for something like 6 years now. It would be more pretty with a good sanding, but it is perfectly useable. I have been diligent with oiling though - never really let the wood go dry.

@Jovidah @miggus @Neutri
i still need a plan on how to treat a new nice board for when it will get scratched from my regular non serrated knives
cant find a stanley 80 anywhere :(
Like the others said; if you don't use a meat cleaver or serrated knife on it you won't need to do anything but oil or wax it for the first decade. If you keep it maintained there's no need to sand or scrape.

@boblob: Like Lars said - oil it, and unless you are doing really heavy stuff like hacking through bones, it will last a loooooong time. View attachment 228945

I have been cooking several meals every week on this board for something like 6 years now. It would be more pretty with a good sanding, but it is perfectly useable. I have been diligent with oiling though - never really let the wood go dry.
Butler 45x35? ;)

Better get a plan for treating that nice new board with mineral oil. If you don't otherwise mistreat it, it won't need anything but a regular oiling for years!
i do oil my boards but they get scratched like his board

did you use a cabinet scraper or a card scraper you hold in your hands ?
the cabinet scraper seems superior
A card scraper.....Freshly sharpened one will pull a ribbon of wood similar to a plane

A card scraper.....Freshly sharpened one will pull a ribbon of wood similar to a plane
yes but the cabinet scraper is far superior because it is really hard to bend that metal card for a long time

Oh män, is it so obvious? :D

Actually, I've been looking at the fancier ones for a while, but this one just won't be so nice as to get worse and allow me to buy a new one.
It's obvious becuase I own one too. I think it cost me something like 30 euros originally? I've been using one for about 10 years...still looked brand new. Then I finally caved in and bought the 60x40 cm model. The finish is a little bit rougher than on my first one but for the 80 euros I paid for it I can't really complain. They've worked really welll for me.

If you are going to use a plane then for end grain I think you would want a block plane set very shallow.

yes but the cabinet scraper is far superior because it is really hard to bend that metal card for a long time
I don't think there is difference between the two in the US.

To me they are different. One is made for flat and the other is made for round.

PS
I don't think he is talking about a spoke shave which what I thought when I saw a picture. The Stanley may be something different than a spoke shave. I have a lot of planes so it is what I would use. I also own a spoke shave and a draw knife.

Last edited:
Just use a little sandpaper to smooth out the really rough spots. Clean thoroughly. Re-oil. Find a dark corner and die inside a little.

Back