Toothy finishing stone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this thread.
I am always looking for new finishers in the medium range with lots of bite, I would like to find the optimum for me.

This thread has helped me a lot, I still had some stones as possible candidates in mind, some have been confirmed by this thread.

Disadvantage of this thread - I have to explain to my wife that new stones will come soon and that I still do not have enough of them ...:D

Finally gave in and bought the synthetic natural.

Sharpened all of my knives and the initial impression is good. Taking it to work here in a bit to really try them out.

Will post this week with a final impression.

I love this thread.

Disadvantage of this thread - I have to explain to my wife that new stones will come soon and that I still do not have enough of them ...:D

I will never forget the day I got my first flattening plate and had to explain "no this isn't for knives, this is a 'stone' to flatten the other stones"

Have been using the synthetic natural over the last month.

I found jumping from my Chosera 800 to it was too steep of a progression.
Adding the King 4000 between the two makes the progression perfect.

The final edge has, in my opinion, the perfect balance between refinement and toothiness for a professional kitchen.

Have been using the synthetic natural over the last month.

I found jumping from my Chosera 800 to it was too steep of a progression.
Adding the King 4000 between the two makes the progression perfect.

The final edge has, in my opinion, the perfect balance between refinement and toothiness for a professional kitchen.
How about edge retention?

The edge that it gives has a great edge retention, especially on my A2 Shihan blades.

It gives my Watanabe much better edge retention than the other finishing stones that I have tried.

Last edited:
Just did a 2 day trial in a 3 Michelin star restaurant.

My first task was to cut a quart container of perfect brunoise chile.

The finish from the synth natural is perfect for pepper skins. The second day, my knife worked just as well.

(Shihan A2 nakiri)

Well this is hard to say anything about...

How toothy do you want it?

I use the hardest nubatama ume 1000 for a toothy edge and strop on leather. Cuts protein like a champ. And holds the edge much longer than if you go higher in grit.

If you want toothy but on the much finer side i go for one of my softer/muddy suita stones. But these the edge dulles alot faster because it's more acute.

i have very good results with AI1000-Aizu-Suita, i mean in pro kitchen.

I’m digging this thread up out of the graveyard to ask @Illyria if he still likes the synth nat. I’ve been trying to love mine, but isn’t giving great tooth. Any recommendations for getting the most out of it?

I don't use it anymore. I didn't like how soft it was, despite liking the finish.

My current progression is my Gesshin 800 Vitrified diamond stone followed up with an aizu with an 8k King nagura slurry, or a natural stone I found (6-7kish) with an aizu nagura.

I'll see if I can dig it out to compare, as I honestly don't remember the finish too well.

I don't use it anymore. I didn't like how soft it was, despite liking the finish.

My current progression is my Gesshin 800 Vitrified diamond stone followed up with an aizu with an 8k King nagura slurry, or a natural stone I found (6-7kish) with an aizu nagura.

I'll see if I can dig it out to compare, as I honestly don't remember the finish too well.
Thanks so much for the return to the old topic. I was excited about mine when I first got it, but enthusiasm waned when I had different options as well. I'll say the JKI lineup by and large is excellent.

Even still, I may use it for friends knives, I think it's a nice option, but I don't think I'm getting as much out of it as others describe. Still want to nail it.

A Tsushima jnat after a 2-3k works really well. It does not cut fast but it leaves a nice edge with bite.
Vetrified Venev diamond plates gives you allot of bite with a mirror bevel. They are also nice for deburring and micro bevels.

I've heard from some that a jnat produces a toothier edge for the refinement it gives, due to the uneven stone texture. Not sure whether that's right though.

There are quite a few sciency threads on the differences of the polish under magnification.
I have both low/mid grit Jnats and chosera/king, and for my money I always finish on jnats as I prefer the bite and how it cuts.

For what it's worth I'm a big fan of the tooth off of a shapton glass 4000. It's very possible that I'm not taking all the teeth from the 1000 though

This is a 1k Morihei edge on a straight razor. This type of stone cut different then a pure synthetic. Notice that the bevel does not have deep striations like you get with other stones. Even the 12k Morihei leaves a little serrated apex. A jnat works a little similar, but it is really hard to find a good one in the 1 to 2 k range.
The Morihei strikes a good balance with the natural mix in the stone.
The razor grade jnats I have is way to fine to leave any tooth in the edge. Ref the second attached image.

The magnification is around 600.
IPC_2022-02-19.12.19.34.1150.jpg

1k Morihei
IPC_2022-05-13.18.12.52.6190.jpg

Nakayama asagi lv 5
9K.jpg

9k Morihei (mirror finish to the naked eye)

Last edited:
Don't forget you can do slurry in the opposite direction as well. For example, I feel the Morhei 4K with Suehiro Cerax 1K slurry not only leaves an awesome aggressive edge, but it also feels amazing to strop on.

Don't forget you can do slurry in the opposite direction as well. For example, I feel the Morhei 4K with Suehiro Cerax 1K slurry not only leaves an awesome aggressive edge, but it also feels amazing to strop on.
That would speed up the stone and give you an edge with bite.
I have always used a slurry stone that is finer then the base stone.
I have had mixed results with synthetic slurry, but I have never tried the cerax stones.
Some stones have a binder that really eats up the edge.
I have a 10k Suehiro that works quite well with the included slurry stone. Maybe they are using the same binder..

Latest posts

Back