Total electricity blackout. “Roughing it” cooking.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
My city is shut down in power for two days.(about half a he city)
Oh. The horrors.

making rice!

:D

ECD27727-A84F-4369-8566-7EAE57C5DC6D.jpeg

I could go out to eat. Get to-go food.
But i thawed a hunk of line caught salmon yesterday.

In Fl we have generators as well. But they're for hurricanes.

Fire up the grill and suffer through as best you can.

Hopefully, you won’t have to thaw your whole freezer.

Good luck, stay cool
Nah. The generator runs the fridge/freezer. And starts my natural gas tankless water heater. Very small loads. I run it during the day. About 10 hours then announce” nobody opens the fridge!” I went 8 days like that.

I recently got a dual fuel inverter generator (about 3000W), the idea is to run it with propane only on my condo balcony and keep essentials going when/if needed. We have overhead power lines and lots of old trees which tend to lose branches in summer/winter storms.

The iwatani 35fw 15k btu stove is also an essential, have had to made morning coffee indoors a few times with it lol. Can cook outdoors on BBQ with the side burner or the wok burner too

We bought a two burner Coleman white gas stove when Mt. St. Helens took our power out and have been using for outages and camping trips every since. White gas sure has went up in price though!

My very, very, frugal father maintained that "white" gas was just unleaded gas for $5.00 gallon. With four of us there was a lot of camping in my younger years.

My very, very, frugal father maintained that "white" gas was just unleaded gas for $5.00 gallon. With four of us there was a lot of camping in my younger years.
Your father was correct. When i was a boy my father would go to the Atlantic gas station to get white gas for his 1960 Austin Healy sprite. (Yes i am that old). However it was not $5 per gallon back then

We're of the same era. "White" gas was sold in red, 1 G cans at Sears (hell, everything was sold at Sears back then). Unleaded from the gas station, when available, was at a small premium from regular but still under a buck.

Back