Tou knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomsdotcom

Reaction score
I've been searching for information on Tou knives, featured on Tosho and a couple other places. Through my Google searches and total lack of Japanese comprehension, I've at least found Munemasa x Hitohira to be responsible for production. Beyond that I'm totally lost.

I'm particularly intrested in 藤 Tou Ogirishiba 180mm. made by Honjyouji 2nd.

http://hitohira-japan.com/product/tou-knives/

I'd appreciate it if anyone have any experience or info on these knives

Thanks,
Kevvin

Yeah, It's got a weird hunting/skinning knife vibe to it. Which both intrigues me and worries me... [emoji12]

Guessing by the lack of response that nobody has actually held or used one before?

Old thread - but now I’m seriously considering buying one. I have a new job where I’m in an open kitchen, in front of a roaring wood fire at a massive butcher block slicing a lot of steaks. So I figured I should be wielding the swordiest-looking knife possible and this Tou slicer has my eye. Can anyone speak to the grind performance and steel properties?

I have the 300mm sakimaru sujihiki from Tou. Very substantial spine and good wreight to it for a wa sujihiki. Feels great on the stones, holds its edge and resistant to chips so far. I used mine for portioning protein or slicing cooked roasts and steak. The kurouchi finish also seems to be holding on. Havent noticed it fade at all.

Haven't been using it much now that im away from the kitchen mostly.

For anyone else who wonders about these the answer is “f______ awesome”. Bought the sword suji, got it today, it is a single purpose knife to be sure but excels at that purpose.

IMG_20190627_195902107.jpg

Dagburnit, I didn't realize it came out blurry until now

Sorry to bring up an old thread. The finish on these has that misty, slightly uneven look of being finished on stones. Has anyone found any low spots on the blade road? Or do they appear to be hand polished?

TOU definately got my interest as well, does anyone else have one and could share their experience?

This tou knife (from a different blacksmith) on the munemasa site looks pretty amazing if only it weren't for the extremely flat profile.
P1014090-1200.jpg
P1014079-1200.jpg

Back