• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTT Toyama 240 Gyuto, Gengetsu 210 Gyuto, LaSeur 245 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a Toyama 240 with a fantastic custom ebony and ivory handle by Mert. Holding this knife makes me feel like a king. The only other knife that has made me think that was a Rader. Forum compliance trade value at $450. Here is the thread I got it from:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/maher-gyuto-240-san-mai-sold.42182/#post-622017

Also have a 210 Gengetsu that has never been sharpened. It was bought to be a gift but the potential recipient chose another knife from me instead and this got buried in a pile of knife boxes. Forum compliance trade value at $250. Here is the thread I got this one from:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/gengetsu-semi-stainless-210mm-gyuto.42545/

Lastly, a very handsome LaSeur gyuto. F&F is as good as it gets. Compliance trade value at $420. Here is the thread I got this one from:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/tony-laseur-gyuto-masahiro-suji-custom.43269/#post-640489

What I Am Looking For

First priority:
I am looking for a new or like new Shigehiro gyuto, petty, or suji. Also anything else known to be sharpened by Kasahara in a state where his work has not been significantly altered.

I also like:
Mario, Don Nguyen, Kippington, Rader, Mike Davis, KS profiles with convex grinds, cool small knives. Potentially a razor though you will have to be patient enough to explain value and suitability for a newbie.

Not interested in:
Kato, lasers, flat grinds.

Let’s make a deal.

*****If you happen to be the owner of the Don Nguyen Sabatier refurb from several years ago I have many more knives available.*****

Shigehiro petty is pretty nice. I just had one a week ago. Very thin grind but nice and stiff. Not nearly as robust feeling as the gyuto.

@daveb I would make gengetsu standard issue if I could.

@TSF415 His level of work way surpassed my expectations. Are you loving yours?

@labor of love They all look great. I haven’t owned a suji in years and I keep eyeing that 270 suji at CKC.

I bought the LaSeur for the kitchen of a new house I bought. The counters are higher so I don’t need the heel height anymore. Ideally there is a Shigehiro owner out there having the inverse experience.

I would love to check out that Toyama....have to check if someone still wants my 270 Shigehiro suji for trade, it's not sharpened and only tested at home.

Attachments

• Shigehiro.jpg
    Shigehiro.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 240
...Not interested in:
Kato...

After all the hype and worshipping over the past 6yrs, your still not a fan? ;)

That LaSeur is tempting as fudge. If I didn’t have one coming up from him you and I would be talking about trading for a 240 Shigehiro gyuto. And I really like my “old” Shigehiro.

@lumo That’s a great line up of knives you’ve got there. Your suji sounds like a fit. Shoot me a PM and we can figure out details if it is available.

@marc4pt0 I get a strange satisfaction from knocking Katos every now and then. They seem to be doing fine despite my half hearted efforts.... Are there known differences in Shigehiros from different batches or vintages? I am very new in my awareness to the name.

If there are any differences between batches they are unknown to me. I’ve only had 2 240 gyutos from Sam @ buttermilk supplies original run. The first one I foolishly sold. Fast fwd a few years and I found another one in great shape.

If there are any differences between batches they are unknown to me. I’ve only had 2 240 gyutos from Sam @ buttermilk supplies original run. The first one I foolishly sold. Fast fwd a few years and I found another one in great shape.
I don’t know for sure if there’s difference in batches, but the 270mm nowadays is a hefty 260ish grams. I think there might a chance the buttermilk gyutos were a little lighter. Could be wrong though.

I don’t know for sure if there’s difference in batches, but the 270mm nowadays is a hefty 260ish grams. I think there might a chance the buttermilk gyutos were a little lighter. Could be wrong though.

My 240 comes in at 217g. It's got some good heft

The 240 is listed at 202g. We’ll see.

I bought the 240. Most of my favorite knives are 255-260 but when I look at the Shigehiro gyuto profiles on the CKC website I like the looks of the 210 best. It was a similar game with Mizuno. The Hontanren 270 should be the choice for me based on length but the profile on the 240 is just better for me in use.

The 240 is listed at 202g. We’ll see.

I bought the 240. Most of my favorite knives are 255-260 but when I look at the Shigehiro gyuto profiles on the CKC website I like the looks of the 210 best. It was a similar game with Mizuno. The Hontanren 270 should be the choice for me based on length but the profile on the 240 is just better for me in use.
What's the main difference?
I've noticed that Japanese shops make the 210/240/270 lines a bit differently from each other. They're not just longer versions of the same product. There's something going on I can't quite put my finger on...

What's the main difference?
I've noticed that Japanese shops make the 210/240/270 lines a bit differently from each other. They're not just longer versions of the same product. There's something going on I can't quite put my finger on...
Sometimes they make 270s a bit less thin behind the edge than 240 and 210 I think. At least six have observed that with a few knives.
And the profiles aren't always just a scale up thing.

Sometimes with lower heel height knives I am wishing for a few more millimeters in height when it gets longer or a couple of degrees in spine angle. It can affect how the knife feels as you approach the belly while cutting. At least for me. To be clear, this is being extraordinarily picky about knives that I already like better than almost everything out there.

Gengetsu SOLD

Back