Toyama Love

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the weight is 290 gm - but it still “feels” nimble. It is a pleasure to use

enjoy your Toyoma!
I traded it with my friend. I believe that 270 damascus is a beast, what is the weight, 300g? I like both stainless and ironclad gyutos, for me it is more of a balance than cladding thing. I would buy definitly more Toyamas too if I only have the funds for it 😂
Here are the pics
8B603CCB-F89C-4328-8B23-EF9C656287C0.jpeg
8B603CCB-F89C-4328-8B23-EF9C656287C0.jpeg
F32C3690-48E1-439D-B413-3BF1B43653CC.jpeg
3E99C41E-5C6D-4C88-9CC7-37D742D0FB21.jpeg

I have Toyama 180 Nakiri SS clad I picked up a while back from JNS that I love. While I wish the food release was better, it is still awesome and I have no other complaints. The balance and feel work very well for me. It has a great F&F and is just a pleasure to use.

I have Toyama 180 Nakiri SS and 210 Gyuto SS.
I really like to use them, but I don't like to look at them - the lack of patina is so boring. I will definitely go to Dammy.
Did anyone meet Toyama Nakiri Dammy?

I only have the gyuto 240 and 270 in Dammy. Love them both, formed a patient on first use

I used my Toyama tall 150mm Petty last night for slicing shallots and garlic to make pizza and it was a pleasure to use with the hand clearance on the board and the thinness behind the edge it's like a small Gyuto. The Toyama Petty is the knife on the small cutting board and the bottom knife with two other petty's the middle petty is a T-F Nashiji and the top one is a Konosuke GS.

Attachments

• IMG_5065.JPG
    IMG_5065.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7797.JPG
    IMG_7797.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7354.JPG
    IMG_7354.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I don’t have a petty because they are all sold out. I think I will use my 270 mm dama tonight - the petty has inspired some Toyoma love tonight!

After experiencing the Petty I bought a 240 Gyuto when JNS had their sale a little while ago. I thought hard about the dama at the time but since I'm buying so many knives I decided that the Stainless clad was just fine.

After experiencing the Petty I bought a 240 Gyuto when JNS had their sale a little while ago. I thought hard about the dama at the time but since I'm buying so many knives I decided that the Stainless clad was just fine.

i love the stainless clad - I got that one too and it’s my first go to knife (and the Heiji) you can’t beat the blue-SS clad -its an awesome knife

i almost did not get the dama actually, but then Maksim said something about these knives are getting rarer. And I caved in

here are some pics FYI of the 270 dama that I used tonight
C4872995-431C-484A-8760-A839FFB22CE1.jpeg
456F8207-2380-4642-BACE-C10E793837EA.jpeg

i love the stainless clad - I got that one too and it’s my first go to knife (and the Heiji) you can’t beat the blue-SS clad -its an awesome knife

i almost did not get the dama actually, but then Maksim said something about these knives are getting rarer. And I caved in

here are some pics FYI of the 270 dama that I used tonight
View attachment 86019View attachment 86020
So many great knives I'd love a damascus Toyama however, I just found a Shigefusa at Knifewear and snagged it. I was surprised that JNS had one available when I got up to pee at 2:30 AM the other night but it was almost more than $200 USD more than Knifewear.

So many great knives I'd love a damascus Toyama however, I just found a Shigefusa at Knifewear and snagged it. I was surprised that JNS had one available when I got up to pee at 2:30 AM the other night but it was almost more than $200 USD more than Knifewear.

i just don’t have your luck! Knifewear is a strange website - I can’t seem to look at knives by brand. I am waiting to snag a Shig or Kato, but till then, Toyoma and Heiji will keep me some company for the lonely

well done on snagging a Shig!

if you don’t have one already -‘add Heiji to your collection

i just don’t have your luck! Knifewear is a strange website - I can’t seem to look at knives by brand. I am waiting to snag a Shig or Kato, but till then, Toyoma and Heiji will keep me some company for the lonely

well done on snagging a Shig!

if you don’t have one already -‘add Heiji to your collection
I agree Knifewear is kinda strange but when I was notified that the knife was available I went to the web site and it was sold out like so many times before but, this time I called them and it was still available? What was so strange after looking for several years is that after receiving the Knifewear Shig. It was available on JNS and so was the 270mm version - wow normally I would have jumped on them but after just buying the 240mm at Knifewear I passed.

Love my toyamas! Specialy the 270 carbon gyuto (beast with 282g)! But also the single bevels are awesome! Does any of you use his hankotsu? So happy with it!

btw JNS is the only place where to buy Toyama with the toyama kanji?
Would love to try the cleaver (wat has one from him but it s with ugly orange handle and it heavy as hell!).

It’s close - Toyoma 210 mm Nakiri, 265 gm. I can’t decide which one I like better, my 210 mm Watanabe or 210 mm Toyoma - today it’s Watanabe for sure. It was a delight to work with - I think Watanabe has an edge here - it’s. 307 gm beast
Here are the two side by side and then the Toyoma
D80368CB-EB1D-4585-92F0-55D59995297A.jpeg
5AA9421B-8F2A-4D92-94C6-8D4B8B444184.jpeg
DF38B507-E040-49E0-A29B-8089EB6F489C.jpeg

I like my Wat's. probably/perhaps/whatever some Toyama.

15cm yellow steel petty (x2)
18cm Nakiri pro
19cm white steel gyuto
21 cm "thinner" dammy gyuto

Out of curiosity, does anyone recall the last time they saw any Toyama honyaki on JNS? From what I gather he has stopped making them but I wanted to find out if anyone knows when he stopped...

I asked Maksim when he might be getting the Toyama Honyaki last year - “don’t know” was the answer.

@lemeneid has at least one - I wonder when he got his

Back