Toyama Noborikoi Handle Switch

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by SilverSwarfer, Oct 20, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 20, 2019 #1

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

I’ve got a Toyama Suji originally from JNS (I think), and I want to install a different handle. Curious whether anyone can help me with any tips.

I’ve installed handles on a few knives. I’m no seasoned pro but all my projects so far are successful. My process is pretty much the same as Maksim’s YouTube video.

My only real concern is how permanently the original handle is attached. Should I anticipate any significant challenges?

fimbulvetr likes this.
  2. Oct 20, 2019 #2

McMan

McMan

McMan

Super simple:

Sometimes they'll pop off easily enough with just a few firm taps. Or, sometimes it can take some oomph (but you'll know you're headed in the right direction once you see the handle begin to move a little after a few hard taps).
    If nothing's doing after hard taps, might be time for a chisel.
    IIRC Watanabe/Toyama are burnt on with no adhesive, so it shouldn't be too bad.

One thing--tape the edge. The one time I didn't, guess what happened...

CiderBear, Gjackson98 and M1k3 like this.
  3. Oct 20, 2019 #3

BlueSteel

BlueSteel

BlueSteel

My JNS Toyama handle came off super-easy with this method.

4. Oct 20, 2019 #4

Bensbites

Bensbites

Bensbites

I have rehandles several toyama’s with stock handles. They always pop right off, there is only a little sealing compound at the top of the tang hole.

one other thing to be aware of, every single Toyama I have touched has had a crooked or wavy tang. That means the tang holes may have to be slightly larger to ensure a straight install. They are amazing amazing performers, this detail always disappoints me.

SilverSwarfer likes this.
  5. Oct 21, 2019 #5

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

Thanks for the input!

I popped off the Toyama handle last night with ease. It was installed exactly how I hoped it would be. Tang was burned in and sealed with a hard (non-wax) wood colored adhesive. I used the edge of a chopstick to remove the sealing/adhesive agent from the steel. I’ll heat the tang for next install and seal with beeswax.

Interesting comment about Toyama tangs. Mine looks pretty good I suppose: it’s not wavy and it’s not straight as the 300mm blade is. There is a noticeable warp but I don’t anticipate it will present any challenge when I install the improved handle.

Keat and Bensbites like this.
  6. Oct 22, 2019 #6

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

Mission accomplished. I attempted to adjust the tang pre-install and It was surprisingly pliable, easy to adjust. Makes sense/ I suppose the tang was held during quench?

Nice upgrade IMO, from the original Ho/Horn.

Attached Files:

M1k3, McMan, Barmoley and 1 other person like this.
  7. Oct 23, 2019 #7

dafox

dafox

dafox

Looks nice, where did you get the handle?

8. Oct 23, 2019 #8

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

Handle was purchased from a fellow KKF member. Original source was Watanabe I believe. IIRC, JKI will install similar if not identical burnt chestnut handles, prices listed on the website.

It took some work: removing material to fit the tang, but it was a fun and easy project. Totally approachable as a do-it-yourself improvement.

M1k3 and dafox like this.