Quantcast

Toyama Noborikoi Stainless Clad Gyuto 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Martyfish

Reaction score
I received my Toyama Gyuto today and noticed that the grind becomes really asymmetrical towards the edge. None of my other Japanese knives are ground like this and I was wondering if this is something normal from Toyama and is there a reason it is ground like this, or is this a defect?

The choil shot on JNS looks more or less perfectly symmetrical, so I am leaning towards a defect, but wanted to check in here on the forum before going any further.

Attachments

olivers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems pretty normal, many Japanese knives are ground asymmetrically. I've posted the choil shot of a couple of my Toyama knives in my BST thread and they look similar WTS - WTS - UK - Toyama Noborikoi K-tip 240mm Gyuto, Toyama 210mm Gyuto (Both iron clad)

I believe the purpose is to make the edge thinner in a similar way to a single bevel knife but without going all the way. I'm sure others that are more expert will jump in and explain.

Nemo

Staff member
Global Moderators
Reaction score
Assymetry is very common in Japanese knives.

McMan

Reaction score
Actually, you got a nice one! Mine from JNS was clunkier.
The convex on the left in the photo is where the magic happens :)
1607045090340.png

Martyfish

Reaction score
Assymetry is very common in Japanese knives.

Thanks for the link, that clarified everything I wanted to know 🙂

Martyfish

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Good to know that an asymmetrical grind like this is normal, intended and the reason behind it. I'm really glad I joined this community and thanks once again for the helpful replies