Toyama Noborikoi Stainless Clad Gyuto 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyfish

Reaction score
I received my Toyama Gyuto today and noticed that the grind becomes really asymmetrical towards the edge. None of my other Japanese knives are ground like this and I was wondering if this is something normal from Toyama and is there a reason it is ground like this, or is this a defect?

The choil shot on JNS looks more or less perfectly symmetrical, so I am leaning towards a defect, but wanted to check in here on the forum before going any further.

Attachments

• _OI000007.JPG
    _OI000007.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20201203-220045_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201203-220045_Gallery.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 52
That seems pretty normal, many Japanese knives are ground asymmetrically. I've posted the choil shot of a couple of my Toyama knives in my BST thread and they look similar WTS - WTS - UK - Toyama Noborikoi K-tip 240mm Gyuto, Toyama 210mm Gyuto (Both iron clad)

I believe the purpose is to make the edge thinner in a similar way to a single bevel knife but without going all the way. I'm sure others that are more expert will jump in and explain.

Actually, you got a nice one! Mine from JNS was clunkier.
The convex on the left in the photo is where the magic happens :)
1607045090340.png

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Good to know that an asymmetrical grind like this is normal, intended and the reason behind it. I'm really glad I joined this community and thanks once again for the helpful replies

Back