Toyama

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now is the time to buy. He will be out of that 270 gyuto in a day or two I bet. I loaded up on the last sale, otherwise I would be buying some also.

I got my 270mm gyuto in the mail yesterday. It's a beast of a knife, and I already own the 210mm nakiri which also has some serious mass. Can't wait to prep today.

My Toyama collection is coming around nicely with the addition of a 300mm suji and that 80mm paring. I like the handling of the suji the most cause of that perfect extension of hand feeling I get with it.

@cenc -- do you like that 210 nakiri? I have been curious about it and tempted now that 15% off, but I do not know what I would use it for since I also have a Toyama 270 gyuto. When do you choose the nakiri?

@cenc -- do you like that 210 nakiri? I have been curious about it and tempted now that 15% off, but I do not know what I would use it for since I also have a Toyama 270 gyuto. When do you choose the nakiri?

I love the straighter edge profile of the nakiri. I also push cut/chop with the nakiri and I have a great feeling I won't do that as much with the new 270mm gyuto. I love having a nakiri around just in general.

That 180mm nakiri is still in stock too. I like the 210mm size because I work in a busy kitchen and like having that extra 30mm and weight in the blade. Extra oomph in the cut gives me more confidence and I can work faster.

The 210 Nakiri is awesome. I never liked a Nakiri until I got this one. I have a 240 gyuto already and a 270 on the way, I am somewhat of a Toyama fan. I find I reach for the Nakiri way more often than I thought I would. It might be the most fun knife to use that I own. You should definately pick one up.

The 210 Nakiri is awesome. I never liked a Nakiri until I got this one. I have a 240 gyuto already and a 270 on the way, I am somewhat of a Toyama fan. I find I reach for the Nakiri way more often than I thought I would. It might be the most fun knife to use that I own. You should definately pick one up.
+1

FWIW I've used the 210 Nakiri to do all kinds of stuff to hard squash that you probably shouldn't be doing with a Japanese knife. Before I got my 210 Toyama Nakiri, it was a rubber mallet and a stubborn german chef's knife for the job, and then only DH could handle it.

Haven't chipped it yet, though if I were honest it should have picked up a few by now. I attribute that more to the excellence of the blade than my crummy knife skills.

That lovely 210mm of fineness has enabled brown butter sage squash to be on our plates a lot more often since it's no longer a chore to prep.

OK, that is that -- I just purchased the 210 Toyama nakiri. Thanks for your reviews/opinions.

So you guys were the ones who bought up all the 270 gyutos! I guess you snooze you lose...

Hmmm...seems like I did not receive the e-mail. Is it 15% off all Toyama knives? How does one get the 15% off - seems like there is no reference to the sale on JNS website?

Cheers,
Blair

Hmmm...seems like I did not receive the e-mail. Is it 15% off all Toyama knives? How does one get the 15% off - seems like there is no reference to the sale on JNS website?

Cheers,
Blair

Coupon code is "october"
15% off site wide
Shig and Kato exempt
There is a banner across the top of the jns homepage for me

Coupon code is "october"
15% off site wide
Shig and Kato exempt
There is a banner across the top of the jns homepage for me

Thank you very much! I was bypassing the homepage and going straight to certain product pages, so I missed the sale ad!

Cheers,
Blair

Just wanted to add, I find that my 210mm Nakiri is noticeably more reactive than my other 3 Toyama knives, but reaches razor-like edge quicker. It is nice and thick behind the edge too. Perfect workhorse.

The new 270mm gyuto is the least reactive ootb so far. It has an amazing heat treat and grind; Thin behind the edge. It is actually a bit tough to sharpen compared to the other 3, but I prefer that though because spending a little while longer at the stones is good practice and meditative for me.

Interesting observation, cena. My 210 Nakiri and my 240 gyuto seem to be very similar with reactivity. If I had to choose one to be more reactive, it would have be the Nakiri.

Anyone with a comment on his single bevels? I think I'll be springing on either the 300 suji or yanagi before the sale ends. I'm not too concerned with the difference between the two types, since a few years down the line I'll probably own one of each. I'm just interested in opinions on whether Toyama does the yanagi or the suji best. All else being equal, I'm partial to buying the yanagiba first, but I'd be very interested in hearing from people with first hand experience with the maker.

Most seem to agree - myself included - that Toyamas generally are very well made knives. That said Toyama makes single bevels of particulally high quality. I own 9 Tayamas incl the knives in question. I find the suji to be my absolut favorite suji of all time. Very thin behind the edge and an overall light weight knife. The yanagis feel more substantial. His fugobekis are ofcourse thin and light. Sujis are much more versatile and thus would probably be the more clever first choise. But really I want to say: get them both. They only become more rare and expensive over time. The man i 75+ years old [emoji2]
Hope this was helpfull.
- Kim

Most seem to agree - myself included - that Toyamas generally are very well made knives. That said Toyama makes single bevels of particulally high quality. I own 9 Tayamas incl the knives in question. I find the suji to be my absolut favorite suji of all time. Very thin behind the edge and an overall light weight knife. The yanagis feel more substantial. His fugobekis are ofcourse thin and light. Sujis are much more versatile and thus would probably be the more clever first choise. But really I want to say: get them both. They only become more rare and expensive over time. The man i 75+ years old [emoji2]
Hope this was helpfull.
- Kim

Almost making it harder :)

I strongly prefer a suji and and a yanagi from two different makers. Since I'm starting out a collection, I like trying different things more than I like committing to one, no matter how great - there's something to be said for discovering personal preference. One thing pulling me to the yanagi is a sense of there being a greater availability of quality sujihikis, or perhaps that's off-base? So, if Toyama is well-renowned for his single-bevels, I might spring on that first, although there is something to be said for versatility - and the sujihiki does look sexy.

If I needed a suji in my kit it would certainly be Toyama. Blade shape and tip looks perfect. Plus several members have already stated that the sujis are even MORE enjoyable than the gyutos. Toyama only get pricier each year, pretty sure I purchased a Toyama 240mm gyuto new for $250 around the time maxim started carrying them. I wish I could come up with a good excuse to take advantage of Maxims sale.

Almost making it harder :)

I strongly prefer a suji and and a yanagi from two different makers. Since I'm starting out a collection, I like trying different things more than I like committing to one, no matter how great - there's something to be said for discovering personal preference. One thing pulling me to the yanagi is a sense of there being a greater availability of quality sujihikis, or perhaps that's off-base? So, if Toyama is well-renowned for his single-bevels, I might spring on that first, although there is something to be said for versatility - and the sujihiki does look sexy.

Watanabe Yanagiba and Toyama Sujihiki would be my choice.

I just have to say that your posts (and yes - I blame all of you!) resulted in me buying the 300 suji and 180 nakiri right now from JNS....thanks in advance!!!

300 suji as well :laugh:

You made me worry about them being sold out on me, so I blame you in turn!

CSUjlx3.jpg

The family welcomes a new arrival.

How do you like the grind of your 210mm nakiri?
Love it. Maybe my most fun knife to use as long as you acknowledge its strengths and limitations. It is somehow thin at the edge and strong shouldered at the same time. It can crack hard produce like large carrots, but destroys cabbage and peppers and the like. Im very happy with it.

I can't believe how much I enjoy my 270mm gyuto. The grind and edge retention is just exceptional. The edge profile is perfect for my needs and what I cut at work. Generous curvature that I'll try to capture in a picture at some point.

I received my Toyama 210 nakiri yesterday, finally after DHL lost the package but found it a week later. Whew, glad they found it! This thing just glides through vegetables. Very tall, hefty, and nice. I'm glad I bought it during the discount.

Back