Tragedy!! Be honest, how bad is it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J0NY1P

Reaction score
I'm currently waiting on a custom knife board to come - I live in a condo and kitchen counter space is at a premium, so wall mountable is the way to go. In the interim I decided to pick one up on amazon that attaches to the wall with adhesive so I can remove it when the new board arrives. I already have a stainless steel rack mounted with adhesive for my cheaper knives - I've never had issues with it but I ordered a wooden one so I wouldn't scratch or damage my good knives (oh the irony).

About 3 days after I set up the new wooden rack, I'm in the kitchen getting ready to start dinner and I begin to hear a kind of peeling sound. I turn my head and I see the knife rack 3/4 off the wall, peeling getting louder, and within 1 or 2 seconds, boom! The whole rack, knives included, falls on my ceramic kitchen floor with a huge crash.

I had my Kikumori Choyo k petty, Hitohira Togashi gyuto, Moritaka gyuto, and my favorite knife, Tsukasa Hinoura rainbow nakiri on the rack when it fell. Instinctively (and looking back, very stupidly) I shot my hand out as the rack was falling - luckily I didnt get hurt at all and I was able to essentially pin the Togashi against the wall as the rest of the knives fell.

Sadly there is some pretty bad damage - the Togashi and Moritaka are fine, but the tip of the choyo broke off, and the Hinoura got some pretty strange damage. Part of the edge broke (couldnt get a clear photo but would be an easy fix after re-edging) but there is some damage on the flat front/tip of the Nakiri (not sure what that spot is called). The Choyo and Hinoura were next to eachother on the rack, so I'm thinking maybe the tip of the Choyo hit the Hinoura in that spot. Regardless of what happened, I'm confident I can get the choyo fixed but I'm wondering if the damage on the Hinoura is fixable?

I will be taking them both to get professionally worked on as this is far out of my skill set, but wondering if anyone can provide some guidance or (hopefully) reassurance 😅

I'll also post a link of the knife board so you guys can avoid - its actually advertised as mountable with the adhesive. 100% do mot recommend 😂

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NWQ9RVM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dcJeGb3KQ7W71?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• IMG_20210126_120353.jpg
    IMG_20210126_120353.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20210126_120401.jpg
    IMG_20210126_120401.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20210126_120642.jpg
    IMG_20210126_120642.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20210126_120739.jpg
    IMG_20210126_120739.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20210126_120745.jpg
    IMG_20210126_120745.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20210126_120759.jpg
    IMG_20210126_120759.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20210126_120810.jpg
    IMG_20210126_120810.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 162
Might take a bit, but the knives are fixable. Hope you have a coarse stone! Not sure what you're doing to do to fix the rainbow damascus nakiri, but it'll be a while before you run into that dent while sharpening ;)

Might take a bit, but the knives are fixable. Hope you have a coarse stone! Not sure what you're doing to do to fix the rainbow damascus nakiri, but it'll be a while before you run into that dent while sharpening ;)

Haha, yeah definitely silver lining is that performance isnt really effected on either. Just the aesthetic, especially on the Hinoura which is such an aesthetic heavy piece. Not sure if that dent is fixable?

Haha, yeah definitely silver lining is that performance isnt really effected on either. Just the aesthetic, especially on the Hinoura which is such an aesthetic heavy piece. Not sure if that dent is fixable?
You'll just lose a few mm of steel if you want the original look with the flat front. I'd round those corners off around the ding and reflatten it to lose the least amount of steel instead of the other way around. Tbh, these fixes don't look too bad. In the hands of a pro your memory will be the only evidence of damage.

Definitely got off light, all things considered! Could've been way worse. Probably the worst part of this will be the initial heart attack 🤣

The k-tip can be repaired pretty easy if you're willing to have it reprofiled, would end up with more of a sheepsfoot type tip. Otherwise could still be fixed to preserve the k-tip profile, but would be a more extensive repair.

The rainbow damascus nakiri I'm not sure even needs to be repaired. Might just be a "character mark"!

Last edited:
You'll just lose a few mm of steel if you want the original look with the flat front. I'd round those corners off around the ding and reflatten it to lose the least amount of steel instead of the other way around. Tbh, these fixes don't look too bad. In the hands of a pro your memory will be the only evidence of damage.

Thanks so much, this is super reassuring and I feel so much better now!! I felt sick to my stomach after this happened - I know accidents occur but every time I see it I cant help but feel I've disgraced Master Hinoura's hard work! Happy to know i can get ot back to it (close to) original beauty.

The Knife shop in the city I'm in is only working on their own knives for now, so as soom as they open up to all knives again I'll be getting them fixed!

Definitely got off light, all these considered! Could've been way worse. Probably the worst part of this will be the initial heart attack 🤣

The k-tip can be repaired pretty easy if you're willing to have it reprofiled, would end up with more of a sheepsfoot type tip. Otherwise could still be fixed to preserve the k-tip profile, but would be a more extensive repair.

The rainbow damascus nakiri I'm not sure even needs to be repaired. Might just be a "character mark"!

Haha I definitely like your take on the Hinoura more than mine 😂

Oh your totally right, that initial heart attack was painful but definitely could have been a lot worse! And thanks that what I was thinking for the k-tip too!

The good news is you can still count up to 5 on that hand.
Haha seriously! Looking back l cant believe how lucky I was in that sense. I was so.l close when it happened too, any closer amd the knives would have fallen on my foot

This is why curse words were invented, and why one should save them for the occasions that really deserve them.

Looks fixable, though. Good luck!

Oh yeah, I wouldnt be surprised if my neighbours learned a few new ones 😂

And thanks!! Will post some pics once the repairs are done

These should be very doable fixes. As long as the blade edges and still straight and such.

A far worse result would have been a deeply bent tip (like an inch in), instead of a broken tip, which don't straigten out easily at all, or chips along the edge, which more drastically change the behavior of the knife.

Good thing you did not hurt yourself trying to prevent the knives to fall. That could of been a real disaster.
Otherwise it sucks, but the damage is not too bad and all is fixable.

Btw if they fix the choyo like this:

View attachment 111781

I recommend asking them to sand the KU along the spine too so it looks seamless. This kind of thing would bother me.

This is what you should do imo. It's a lot more difficult to fix the knife by altering the edge profile, because you'll have to thin as well if you want similar performance. Besides, this kind of knife is not supposed to have an upsweep at the tip, right? It'll take a while to grind off this much metal, and it can take a little bit of control to get a perfectly flat line like the red one that's drawn if you're doing this on stones, but it's not actually difficult to do yourself. You'll want to soften the edges along the red line a bit and sand it there for aesthetics.

To me, it already looks like the KU is sanded off on the spine. But if it's not, yea, you could do that too.

The chip in the nakiri looks like a total nonissue. Just leave it.

Btw if they fix the choyo like this:

View attachment 111781

I recommend asking them to sand the KU along the spine too so it looks seamless. This kind of thing would bother me.
I literally had my k- tip moved back about an 1/8” yesterday from a similar chip cost me $10 at a local knife sharpener, I’ll end up sanding and polishing the spine on my own. But easy fix for someone with the right set up and it only took about ten minutes

I vote orange. I like the straight line.
Regardless, what'll be key is making sure to thin to make sure the new tip is as thin as the old one and then to blend that.
1611856010611.png

Last edited:
Thanks so much, this is super reassuring and I feel so much better now!! I felt sick to my stomach after this happened - I know accidents occur but every time I see it I cant help but feel I've disgraced Master Hinoura's hard work! Happy to know i can get ot back to it (close to) original beauty.

The Knife shop in the city I'm in is only working on their own knives for now, so as soom as they open up to all knives again I'll be getting them fixed!

If you're talking Tosho, I'd email them and explain. Maybe they will do you a favour as in my experience they are good people. I've never used them but there is also Knife Toronto.

On the rainbow I suggest you hold off any proposals for deciding how to fix it until you've had a chance to calm down. :)

Anti-thinning as future-proofing!
Loading that rack with 30-year-old Henckels instead could eliminate discussions like this altogether. :D

(other than "Now my floor has a low spot from all that weight landing on it")

You thinkin' keep it thick in case of future drops? :)

Anti-thinning as future-proofing!

I'm also not so convinced it'll be that much thicker. You think the angle of the wide bevel decreases much as you get toward the tip? I'm not sure there's much of a taper there. At least, I don't see evidence of one.

I'm also not so convinced it'll be that much thicker. You think the angle of the wide bevel decreases much as you get toward the tip? I'm not sure there's much of a taper there. At least, I don't see evidence of one.
You're probably right about there not being much taper. My thinking is that it looks like it lost more than just a little of the tip--5+mm?--so even if it's just a tad thicker, it'd likely still benefit from a little thinning/blending down low.

I'm currently waiting on a custom knife board to come - I live in a condo and kitchen counter space is at a premium, so wall mountable is the way to go. In the interim I decided to pick one up on amazon that attaches to the wall with adhesive so I can remove it when the new board arrives. I already have a stainless steel rack mounted with adhesive for my cheaper knives - I've never had issues with it but I ordered a wooden one so I wouldn't scratch or damage my good knives (oh the irony).

About 3 days after I set up the new wooden rack, I'm in the kitchen getting ready to start dinner and I begin to hear a kind of peeling sound. I turn my head and I see the knife rack 3/4 off the wall, peeling getting louder, and within 1 or 2 seconds, boom! The whole rack, knives included, falls on my ceramic kitchen floor with a huge crash.

I had my Kikumori Choyo k petty, Hitohira Togashi gyuto, Moritaka gyuto, and my favorite knife, Tsukasa Hinoura rainbow nakiri on the rack when it fell. Instinctively (and looking back, very stupidly) I shot my hand out as the rack was falling - luckily I didnt get hurt at all and I was able to essentially pin the Togashi against the wall as the rest of the knives fell.

Sadly there is some pretty bad damage - the Togashi and Moritaka are fine, but the tip of the choyo broke off, and the Hinoura got some pretty strange damage. Part of the edge broke (couldnt get a clear photo but would be an easy fix after re-edging) but there is some damage on the flat front/tip of the Nakiri (not sure what that spot is called). The Choyo and Hinoura were next to eachother on the rack, so I'm thinking maybe the tip of the Choyo hit the Hinoura in that spot. Regardless of what happened, I'm confident I can get the choyo fixed but I'm wondering if the damage on the Hinoura is fixable?

I will be taking them both to get professionally worked on as this is far out of my skill set, but wondering if anyone can provide some guidance or (hopefully) reassurance 😅

I'll also post a link of the knife board so you guys can avoid - its actually advertised as mountable with the adhesive. 100% do mot recommend 😂

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NWQ9RVM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dcJeGb3KQ7W71?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Ouch! This is the reason why I've never trusted wall mounted knife racks! No worries, could've been worse. Since you're in Toronto, just send it to Justin at www.sharptoronto.com, he's pretty awesome.

This is the reason why I've never trusted wall mounted knife racks!
There's more than one reason to not trust them, but this one (attached by adhesive) even had an extra reason.

It might be good when choosing knife storage to just assume they are going to fall, to see where the landing spot is going to be, and decide if you like that. (My worthless knives would land in the drawer below the one where they are, and it would take a very massive and very nearby earthquake to cause even that.) There's no chance of earthquake around Toronto, but the chance of adhesive failing (or strong adhesive on weak paint, or paint that was cleaned with the wrong thing, or paint being tougher than the wall, or...) - too many ways to fail.

However, the fact that my knives are worthless may be exactly why I hide them in a drawer... :)

Back