Travel sharpening suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarryMM

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a lightweight sharpening solution. Anyone has experience with the glass stone seven stones? I think the 25 and 6.7 micron would be a nice option. Leather belt for final stropping.
Other recommendations? I would be sharpening pretty dull kitchen knives for friends while traveling. Must be pretty light for in my carry on flight bag.
Thanks!

Jon's diamond plates...and some newspaper...

I have a travel kit made up of the standard SG stones. 500, 1k, 3k and 6k. I travel a lot. I use those in combination with the light weight Shapton stone holder. I wasn't aware of the smaller glass stone seven stones. Probably a bit too compact for me for doing serious work on, but if they work for you they look like they would be ideal.

@Carl Kotte very kindly let me borrow a great little Aiiwatani Tomae koppa not long ago. It’s great for stropping up a keen edge with good bite. I would bring that ;)

...and a set of Shaptons maybe?

Edit: if dull knives are on the menu, maybe a 500 glass and 2000 pro?

Thanks for the input guys! I must add that I'm in the EU so jon's stones are not possible. The 25 micron shapton is around 500 grit I think. Anyone tried the Cerax 1000/3000 small stones? I do own the the glass 500 and 2000 so I'm probably just being a big child to look for something smaller but hey, we can never have enough stones right:D

I got a set of glass stones partially for this very reason. I plan to carry 220, 500 and 2000 as I will mostly be sharpening low quality knives (family). I don't carry sharpening stones for our vacations as I simply take 1-2 knives and they do not need sharpening over a course of 1.2 weeks.

BTW - that simple Shapton Glass holder is fantastic. Not only it can hold 3 stones and thus protect them why on the go, it sits super well on most surfaces. I was very impressed by it. I took the advantage of ordering a set of 3 stones and holder from Dictum - one gets nearyl one stone and the holder for free.

Guys, I just received the Naniwa 800 pro. Lovely stone and this, and a leather strop, will be my one stone travel solution. Removes steel pretty fast and is a bit finer than a Shapton 500. The glass stone sevens are just too small to be comfortable to sharpen larger knives on, at least, that's what I think. Thanks for all your suggestions!

An extra fine diamond steel and hard leather loaded with CrOx. I had a steel once that was medium corse on two side and extra fine on two sides.. it’s what I took to visit fam and sharpen there knives.. it vanished. Extra fine and a loaded strop make a nice aggressive edge that will shave.

I take these when I go Sea kayaking.
https://www.amazon.com/DMT-D3EFC-Di...iamond+steel+extra+fine&qid=1581662644&sr=8-2

Last edited:
Damn, never even heard of the Glass Stone Seven. If only they had a Shapton Pro 2K in that size...

Bumping this up as I was wondering if the Naniwa 600 and 2000 gouken arata (15mm baseless choseras) would be a relatively lightweight/travel combo that could tackle most knives including soft stainless and harder carbon steels? I like the fact that they are splash and go, harder stones and have a case that can be used as a base.

I'm thinking the 600 would be good for abused knives that need a good baseline sharpening and maybe light thinning or even small chip removal and the 2000 would be good to finish without getting too fine.

Or is a 400/1000 two stone combo a better idea? I like my 800/3000 Naniwas but open to other combos eg SG 500/2000 if there are better options.

Bumping this up as I was wondering if the Naniwa 600 and 2000 gouken arata (15mm baseless choseras) would be a relatively lightweight/travel combo that could tackle most knives including soft stainless and harder carbon steels? I like the fact that they are splash and go, harder stones and have a case that can be used as a base.

I'm thinking the 600 would be good for abused knives that need a good baseline sharpening and maybe light thinning or even small chip removal and the 2000 would be good to finish without getting too fine.

Or is a 400/1000 two stone combo a better idea? I like my 800/3000 Naniwas but open to other combos eg SG 500/2000 if there are better options.
Depending on the condition of the knives and type, combo of Shapton Glass 220 and 500, 1k or 2k would make a reasonably compact setup.

For "ultimate 2 stone case" setup I'd get 2 Shapton Pro cases, fill those with Shapton Glass 220 (for really dull and beat up knives), 500 (220 scratch remover, butchery and crappy stainless finisher), 2k (decent stainless finisher) and 4k (good stainless and carbon steels finisher).

P.S. 2 Shapton Glass stones fit in a Pro case.

King NEO #800 Knife Sharpening Stone ST-3

I haven't used it but @Deadboxhero says it is his favorite travel stone and that's good enough for me. I will get one down the road when priorities sort out.

It seems like a pretty big stone unfortunately. Not quite what I'm looking for.

Depending on the condition of the knives and type, combo of Shapton Glass 220 and 500, 1k or 2k would make a reasonably compact setup.

For "ultimate 2 stone case" setup I'd get 2 Shapton Pro cases, fill those with Shapton Glass 220 (for really dull and beat up knives), 500 (220 scratch remover, butchery and crappy stainless finisher), 2k (decent stainless finisher) and 4k (good stainless and carbon steels finisher).

P.S. 2 Shapton Glass stones fit in a Pro case.

The Shapton Glass stones are an option especially given their size. The one thing with the Shaptons is the fact there's only a very thin abrasive section. Do they dish that much slower than a chosera?

That's a good point. I'm careful drying the choseras but having to worry less about that would be a bonus.

Why not a 2k vitrified Diamond for 90% of what you need. The one from Practical Sharpening are awersome.

Why not a 2k vitrified Diamond for 90% of what you need. The one from Practical Sharpening are awersome.
I like this idea but wouldn't this be too fine for most softer knives and take too long to set a bevel of an abused knife? I was thinking of two stones to cover just about any knife I encounter. Not just mine but friends/family too. If it were just my knives I would only bring my Naniwa 3000 (already have the thin arata version of this one).

I like this idea but wouldn't this be too fine for most softer knives and take too long to set a bevel of an abused knife? I was thinking of two stones to cover just about any knife I encounter. Not just mine but friends/family too. If it were just my knives I would only bring my Naniwa 3000 (already have the thin arata version of this one).
The 2k is fast for a 2k (and I do not applay any pressure on diamond) but not for big ship remouving and thining. The 400 is too rough so maybe the 1k but I do not kow this one.

I have sharpened knives on the back of ceramic dinner plates, cups, bowls, etc. There is no glaze on the contact part just fine ceramic and I used water for lube. Works in a pinch just sayin'.

Back