Treasure or Trash?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Reaction score
I picked this up at a thrift store. I wanted to know a few things if anyone can help. Who is this maker? Is this old? Is the handle original? It is nice a snug. Should I polish it or leave alone? I like the way it looks personally. Is it worth the ~$10 I paid for it?

Attachments

• IMG_8474.jpeg
    IMG_8474.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8424.jpeg
    IMG_8424.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8428.jpeg
    IMG_8428.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8429.jpeg
    IMG_8429.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8431.jpeg
    IMG_8431.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8477.jpeg
    IMG_8477.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
I picked this up at a thrift store. I wanted to know a few things if anyone can help. Who is this maker? Is this old? Is the handle original? It is nice a snug. Should I polish it or leave alone? I like the way it looks personally. Is it worth the ~$10 I paid for it?

According to Goins Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings:
A.W. Bradshaw & Sons Germany c. 1856-1860
Albert Bradshaw was an importer and manufacturer's agent for all types of cutlery. The firm was at 48 Maiden Lane, New York City 1856-1859. In 1860, they were at 18 Platt."

This firm is listed on strazors.com as possibly linked to the Kastor/Camillus/Imperial cutlery empire. Possibly as one of the trademarks or companies that Kastor bought out over the years.

The knife is very old and shows a ton of wear. It is some sort of slicer that has been steeled to within an inch of its life. The handle does not look to me to be original. I think that the original was probably closer to flush with the bolster. $10 is a good price for it. I wouldn't have paid much more than that for it. Because while it is very old and kind of cool, the condition is pretty awful and there isn't a way to restore it that adds metal back to where it is missing. It is not a knife brand or profile that is in high demand. If I had this knife, I would probably just sharpen it and use it. You won't hurt its $10 value by polishing it or sharpening it or putting a new handle on it. But you probably wouldn't help it much either.

Reaction score
According to Goins Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings:
A.W. Bradshaw & Sons Germany c. 1856-1860
Albert Bradshaw was an importer and manufacturer's agent for all types of cutlery. The firm was at 48 Maiden Lane, New York City 1856-1859. In 1860, they were at 18 Platt."

This firm is listed on strazors.com as possibly linked to the Kastor/Camillus/Imperial cutlery empire. Possibly as one of the trademarks or companies that Kastor bought out over the years.

The knife is very old and shows a ton of wear. It is some sort of slicer that has been steeled to within an inch of its life. The handle does not look to me to be original. I think that the original was probably closer to flush with the bolster. $10 is a good price for it. I wouldn't have paid much more than that for it. Because while it is very old and kind of cool, the condition is pretty awful and there isn't a way to restore it that adds metal back to where it is missing. It is not a knife brand or profile that is in high demand. If I had this knife, I would probably just sharpen it and use it. You won't hurt its $10 value by polishing it or sharpening it or putting a new handle on it. But you probably wouldn't help it much either.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!