Tried out my new knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmforge

Banned
Reaction score
I carted my new knives (Carbonext 240 gyuto and Hattori FH 270 suji) across Tampa Bay today to see what kind of damage I could do on our family Christmas dinner. My brother had bought a HUGE tenderloin that I cleaned up with the suji. The head on this thing was the diameter of a small ribeye or "club" steak!!!!! Worked like a charm. My poor brother has some Henckels and a Kyocera ceramic santoku that has no edge left on it whatsoever. I got to cut up a few Roma tomatoes with the gyuto and it worked very well. The huge tenderloin was seared and allowed to drink up a tiny bit of smoke on the BGE before it was turned into the Beef Wellington from hell. The funny part is that I had put a wood skewer in it lenghtwise when we had it on the BGE to hold the tail together and my mom did not remove it when wrapping it in the puff pastry and mushroom mash. When I started slicing it with the suji, I thought that I had left some connective tissue in the middle because the suji just reuqire a little bit of pressure to slice cleanly right through the wet wood skewer. D'OH!!!:D I can't wait to see how these things cut when I get a "real" edge on them!!!!

I have no real point of reference as these are my first J knives and I have only used German knives in the past. With that said, both of them impressed me right out of the box.
Great post! By the way, how was the factory edge on the Carbonext?

Not sure how the factory edge is on those particular knives compared to what i've used, but if it's anything like the knives I have used you will be blown away when you put a solid edge on them. night and day difference in my book.

nice! nothing like using a knife for the first time

The factory edge can be improved on the carbonext a lot. You can get a nice wide acute bevel with that thing and it holds the edge pretty well without chipping.

I was afraid that was the case. Now Ihave to spend MORE money. A reasonably priced knife sounds a lot like that "free" dog you get at the Human Society.:lol2:
The factory edge can be improved on the carbonext a lot. You can get a nice wide acute bevel with that thing and it holds the edge pretty well without chipping.

Latest posts

Back