• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Tsubaya Nakagawa x Takada No Hamono ginsan 240mm gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmoves92

Reaction score
Hello,

I am selling a Tsubaya Nakagawa x Takada No Hamono (or Kikuchiyo x Yohei) ginsan 240mm gyuto. I bought this knife around 1.5 years ago from this thread:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...yo-yohei-ginsan-240mm-gyuto-price-drop.55548/
The knife was unused when I bought it. I have used it and sharpened it. I have tried to keep sharpening to a minimum because it was my nicest/most expensive knife until very recently. The out of the box edge microchipped more than any other knife I have used (even ones thinner at/behind the edge). I sharpened enough to get the microchips out and since then, I have touched up the edge a couple of times with a few edge leading stokes on stones. There are some very light scratches from normal use. I have included pictures of these scratches. It looks like the glue between the ferrule and handle body isn’t continuous, but looking at the previous sale thread, it is possible that this is how the handle came. I have also included a picture of this.

This knife has a nicely done, even convex grind that smoothly tapers to the edge. The knife offers surprisingly good food release for its thinness. This knife isn’t the best with really dense, wet foods (because of the mirror polish on/around the core steel, I think), but it generally cuts nicely with most ingredients.

Specs:
225mm X 46mm
171 g
Spine thickness at handle/heel/middle/1cm from tip: 3.3mm/3.1mm/2.5mm/0.9mm-1mm
Handle: Rosewood with pakka wood ferrule
Balance point: at first kanji, right at my pinch grip
Stainless clad ginsan

Price: $375 $350 $320 shipped CONUS PayPal G&S

Send me a PM or leave a message here if you are interested or if you have a question. Thanks!

AD6C89DC-C0F6-42AA-BADE-C02D3F83241C.jpeg

FBDE09B3-2FB4-4A81-82B6-C6CFC1C3798F.jpeg

3E2B7D9B-8F14-47ED-8705-F63AC64297C9.jpeg

B944A9B1-C65F-4CF0-BF3C-4AE9B1683124.jpeg

B70ED5EA-CD67-4CB6-A27E-CCD9A4146BEB.jpeg

BB83F01F-6F9A-4697-805A-D4B10329D1AB.jpeg
D4AE3AE2-44EC-4B62-A2A7-D165E89D6636.jpeg
3D5AD525-0689-4592-A428-2BFF8C1E8CDF.jpeg
E8F0D6AA-2B20-40BA-ADBC-41D798927182.jpeg
04446CDB-B8BD-4BE3-925A-79494D27E36F.jpeg

Last edited:
Additional photos showing scratches and handle:
B02260FD-9EC9-4CF2-B76D-BBBE02E4C8BB.jpeg

DB55CCDC-CE0D-49A4-AA91-C16298DC203E.jpeg

I will try to attach a video in the future that shows the scratches as they appear from many angles.

Correct me if I’m wrong but so don’t think this should be listed as a Takada no Hamono. I get that Yohei’s identity is out of the bag but the branding, the kanji, and the polish is specifically different from any knives coming out of Takada no Hamono as a company.

Aside from that this is a beautiful blade at a great price. If I didn’t already have a Takada Ginsan 240 I’d be all over this. GLWS!

Correct me if I’m wrong but so don’t think this should be listed as a Takada no Hamono. I get that Yohei’s identity is out of the bag but the branding, the kanji, and the polish is specifically different from any knives coming out of Takada no Hamono as a company.

Aside from that this is a beautiful blade at a great price. If I didn’t already have a Takada Ginsan 240 I’d be all over this. GLWS!
I think these are the OEM Tadakas from Tsubaya. They have a slightly different finish.

Thanks for your message and for your nice words! If more people think that I should change it to only say Yohei, I will change it. On the Tsubaya website, it is listed as Takada no Hamono:

https://tsubaya.jp/products/takada-silver3-kasumi-gyuto-shitan-hakkaku?_pos=5&_sid=58ef3cb7d&_ss=r

I have a 270 from tsubaya in this line. It’s Takada oem and marketed as takada now. It’s fair to list as Takada in my opinion.

Here is a video that shows the scratches as they normally appear:

And here are a couple of photos is some scratches that I noticed at the tip:
A804A888-6900-44A1-B1E2-A03B4E37F957.jpeg

B43A255E-1F00-42BC-BB52-2265586A8775.jpeg

I think these are the OEM Tadakas from Tsubaya. They have a slightly different finish.
They have the same finish as Suiboku. Kikuchiyo/Yohei Silver 3 however are probably different. I have Suiboku Gyuto by Nakagawa, Tsubaya Reika Gyuto by Nakagawa, Damascus Suiboku by Tanaka, Konosuke Fujiyama FT, Tanaka Yohei Kasumi, Tanaka Yohei Damascus (I really like Mitsuaki Takada).

The Hitohira knives are fundamentally different than the Takada no Hamono in grind, profile and balance. The Reika is completely different as you can call it Takada no Hamono’s take on a workhorse.

The only true clone I’ve encountered between brands on a Mitsuaki Takada sharpened knife is the Fujiyama FT by Konosuke and the Suiboku Gyuto. They are the EXACT SAME KNIFE, just one is Konosuke and the other is Takada no Hamono branded.

I’d be very interested in comparing this to the Tanaka/Yohei and the Nakagawa Suiboku. If this stays around I may DM

They have the same finish as Suiboku. Kikuchiyo/Yohei Silver 3 however are probably different. I have Suiboku Gyuto by Nakagawa, Tsubaya Reika Gyuto by Nakagawa, Damascus Suiboku by Tanaka, Konosuke Fujiyama FT, Tanaka Yohei Kasumi, Tanaka Yohei Damascus (I really like Mitsuaki Takada).

The Hitohira knives are fundamentally different than the Takada no Hamono in grind, profile and balance. The Reika is completely different as you can call it Takada no Hamono’s take on a workhorse.

The only true clone I’ve encountered between brands on a Mitsuaki Takada sharpened knife is the Fujiyama FT by Konosuke and the Suiboku Gyuto. They are the EXACT SAME KNIFE, just one is Konosuke and the other is Takada no Hamono branded.

I’d be very interested in comparing this to the Tanaka/Yohei and the Nakagawa Suiboku. If this stays around I may DM
I don’t think it’s a suiboku finish. I was interested in this since I recently got one from Tsubuya and started a thread about it. There’s some good feedback and some side by side comparisons that point to a standard kasumi finish and not suiboku.

Last edited:
The kasumi finish, which is on the knife being sold here, is not the same as the Suiboku. Tsubaya carries Suiboku as well, but that’s not what is offered here.
Yeah your right I should clarify. It’s way more similar to Suiboku than it is to any of his other Kasumi finishes. Like I said the only true clone is the Fujiyama FT.

Bump! I am open to trades, so let me know if you have anything that you want to trade.

SPF

Edit: Buyer backed out. Knife still available.

Last edited:
$330. PM me if you are interested for a lower price.

Back