• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Tsubaya Tanaka 240 Blue 1 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budgingllama

Reaction score
Kurouchi is wearing a bit, but absolutely no damage whatsoever on this knife. Heat treat on this steel is insane and takes a wicked edge. Happy to ship anywhere internationally and is cheap from Australia

Price: $400USD via PayPal (can throw in a Saya for a bit extra is someone is interested)

Ships with tracking from Australia for $10. Free if anyone is Aus buys

Attachments

• tempImageSDkVmy.png
    tempImageSDkVmy.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 650
  • tempImagelzTgYu.png
    tempImagelzTgYu.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 653
  • tempImage8KKmzU.png
    tempImage8KKmzU.png
    1,015 KB · Views: 625
  • tempImageFLYZPZ.png
    tempImageFLYZPZ.png
    941.9 KB · Views: 594
Not quite tall enough for me, but she’ll make somebody very happy. GLWS!

This is my favorite knife to use, with the sole exception it gets so freaking sharp and thin it digs into a board real fast (I know hard problem!) All other knife purchases after this one have in some way been disappointing. GLWS.

Really cool to seem some love for Tanaka. His Blue steel heat treatment is exceptional

Very surprised this is still here. I love my version of this blade so much (thanks again to a lovely BSTer) that I seriously considered buying this one as a spare. But even I can’t come up with a truly plausible rationalisation for a double - I’ve sadly come to the conclusion that a Zombie catburgling gang isn’t likely to arrive, nor is my city house about to be engulfed by tsunami, leaving me grateful that I’d stashed a duplicate Tsubaya Tanaka in my alternate highland retreat (that I don’t own)

Er, anyway, GLWS. This is a very, very good knife and someone can make themselves very happy.

👍

I’m very much surprised this is still here too! Love hearing all the love for Tanaka blue steel though 😍

Very surprised this is still here. I love my version of this blade so much (thanks again to a lovely BSTer) that I seriously considered buying this one as a spare. But even I can’t come up with a truly plausible rationalisation for a double - I’ve sadly come to the conclusion that a Zombie catburgling gang isn’t likely to arrive, nor is my city house about to be engulfed by tsunami, leaving me grateful that I’d stashed a duplicate Tsubaya Tanaka in my alternate highland retreat (that I don’t own)

Er, anyway, GLWS. This is a very, very good knife and someone can make themselves very happy.

👍

what about space aliens from a planet where they lost all their good knives and so roam the galaxy freebooting cutlery? Better stock up. I’d get this if I didn’t already have two and I’m still thinking about it anyway

BlImey. It’s a sad indictment on today’s knife youth that this outstanding performer hasn’t been picked up at such a steal of a price. I‘d like to (jokingly) blame millennials, who are probably spending all their hard earned green on the latest dubious fashionable trends, copper-rainbow damascus VG10 blades made by the likes of Chelsea Miller X Anryu

Isn’t there a place for the simple kurouchi finish any more, even a slightly ambiguously faded one.? Black Knives Matter after all...

(Gets coat. Tries to justify that I’m an insufficiently woke old mixed race Londoner. Runs)

BlImey. It’s a sad indictment on today’s knife youth that this outstanding performer hasn’t been picked up at such a steal of a price. I‘d like to (jokingly) blame millennials, who are probably spending all their hard earned green on the latest dubious fashionable trends, copper-rainbow damascus VG10 blades made by the likes of Chelsea Miller X Anryu

Isn’t there a place for the simple kurouchi finish any more, even a slightly ambiguously faded one.? Black Knives Matter after all...

(Gets coat. Tries to justify that I’m an insufficiently woke old mixed race Londoner. Runs)
Just put Kono kanji on the same steel and it would move... YOUTHS.

they‘re probably all too busy watching tiktok of how to make their own avocado toast if they can’t get it out at a bottomless mimosa brunch.

How’s the heft? I know the Tanaka migaki is pretty thin and the Togashi KU is quite burly, this looks to be about midway between the two?

they‘re probably all too busy watching tiktok of how to make their own avocado toast if they can’t get it out at a bottomless mimosa brunch.

How’s the heft? I know the Tanaka migaki is pretty thin and the Togashi KU is quite burly, this looks to be about midway between the two?

that’s exactly where this sits, great mid weight blade. I can check the balance point today

that’s exactly where this sits, great mid weight blade. I can check the balance point today

Would totally agree - it’s not in any a flimsy feeling blade and tbh I prefer it to the (unnecessarily) heavier Togashis. The tip is admittedly thicker than the migaki style tanakas, but plenty thin enough for effortless horizontal cuts. And it’s seriously thin and smooth behind the edge

Depressingly buying the Tanaka made me reappraise a few of my longstanding faves and realise that I really have been neglecting that maintenance thing. Currently beginning to thin a Kono HD as a result..

Crazy that this is still here at that price, it’s replaced my blue #1 Kono Fujiyama as my go to prep knife at home

If it helps it move, a little thing that's nice about this knife, is it comes with the most ergonomic octaganal handle for someone with medium size adult male hands that I've held.

Back