Quantcast

Tsunami Suji WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
Started on this one a few days back. thought I would share a few pictures of the progress!

This is some of Randy Jr's Tsunami pattern damascus. and is going to be a 300mm suij Heres the billet, with my VERY precise sharpy marks! lol

Here it is after removing some of the metal.. Its starting to look like a SUJI!

and again after fine tuning the profile a bit.

And a SNEAK PEEK. Here she is ground and etched! I love Jr's Tsunami pattern steel. Its some slick looking stuff!

Thanks for checking out the thread. Any questions or comments welcomed!

Randy

SUJI 004.JPG

SUJI 011.JPG

SUJI 032.JPG

Siji 006.jpg

Scales and blade, SUJI 013.JPG

sachem allison

Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice looking work guys!
Haven't heard from you in a few days must be busy.

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks Son, Yep we have been busy.. Jr is forging like a mad man, trying to stay ahead of the custom orders and keep a inventory of steel available for the web site etc.. I am always busy!! and normally have at least 3 knives in process (often more) at all times, and this week I was planning 3 more new projects and thinking about the next few on my list. ordering supply's etc. etc. etc.. Its a KNIFE LIFE! :)

Thanks for checking out the thread.

This one has evolved quite a bit from its original "plan" As most of my knife projects seem to do.. :D Its went from a standard western style handle to a western Wa shaped handle.. The Tsunami pattern damascus on this one has started a theme if you will. WATER! Im going to have Kanji "tsunami" wave symbols, engraved into the pins that hold the handles on. And We just changed basically everything yesterday. Redesigning the handle and even switching handle materials..

((Thanks Son, I love you man!)) :D

Water can be one of the most powerful and deadly forces on earth.. A angry hippo is the next most powerful and deadly force on earth! LMAO!! Thats sort of a theme!! no?

wenus2

Founding Member
Reaction score
its a cool pattern for sure. looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Nice work!

Don Nguyen

Reaction score
Sheeeesh. How do you get such CLEAN contrasts in the etching?!

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
OK so the handle materials for this one have "spoken!!" This one is going to be KNICE! :thumbsup:

The handle will have front and rear pieces of Hippo Ivory sandwiching some of Craig s amazing stabilized burl wood. :eek2:

Funny thing how things go sometimes.. This knife has taken on a mind of its own, and I have changed materials totally at least twice from what I had thought when I put this on paper.. :) It may sound CRAZY..:crazy: but sometimes. a knife will "tell" me what it wants.. This one was Screaming all week and kept changer her mind!! and was actually sorta pushy about it at times.. lol

Long and the short of it, Yes.. Im sorta CRAZY!! lol Yet the best knives I have made. were the ones I "listened to" more and dictated less. :bonsai:

Thanks guys for checking out the thread.

BURL!!! 003.jpg

Hippo Ivory 008.JPG

Hippo Ivory 009.JPG

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator
Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang, that one's going to be another fantastic HHH creation! But to stick with the theme, I would think walrus tusk would be better then hippo... :cool2:

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
Dave, Thats a great idea! Forward me a couple of large tusks. Blue would be best! lol :) JK..

Thanks man.

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello and good day!

I finally got the handles attached and shaped out on this. I gota say, Im super happy with the handle combination and the way this one came together!

This is only the second Wa style handle I have done. Let me know what you guys think of her!

Next, the pins are being engraved with a Tsunami wave symbol. More Pictures to come!

Here are the specs.

OAL 454mm, 17 7/8"
Blade, 300mm Tsunami pattern damascus 1080 and 15n20
Heel height, 47mm
Spine thickness, 2.5mm fileworked.
Handle Western/Wa construction, hippo ivory and stabilized birch. Stainless and mosaic pins. aprox 138mm

Thanks for looking Comments and critiques welcomed.

Twistington

Reaction score
I would skip the filework except for the endcap, I liked the use of corbys instead of hidden pins on a western-wa.

And as you wrote "Im super happy with the handle combination[...]" could not agree more on this. :)

PierreRodrigue

Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice Randy! The ivory is gorgeous! Little wonder it fetches admiration and price!! Nice combo my friend.

Deckhand

Reaction score
Wow! That is some great work. You just raised the bar.
Ditto on the awesome file work.

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
awesome work. that ivory looks great with the handle.
Thank you Son. The tooth is very cool stuff. Its seems harder then other ivory's I have used. But the stuff polishes to a glass like smoother then silk finish.
I really like it, Again thanks!

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
I would skip the filework except for the endcap, I liked the use of corbys instead of hidden pins on a western-wa.

And as you wrote "Im super happy with the handle combination[...]" could not agree more on this. :)
Filework only on the end cap. Thats a cool Idea. I will be doing that! I love Corby's, and agree there almost always a safe and good option for a western handle. These are the LARGE corby's and are going to be engraved with a Tsunami wave symbol. Should be a great addition to the overall look and theme if you will of the knife!

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator
Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Does she got a sister?!? :spiteful:

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
LOL , David. she does and she is already spoken for! lol :) Thanks guys for the comments and checking out our work!

Its a KNIFE LIFE!
Randy

The Edge

Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
Nice knife! Are we going to be seeing Earth, Wind, and Fire next? :D

Mike Davis

Reaction score
Very, very nice!!! The ivory looks pretty amazing, as does the whole package. Handle combo works real well for me.... Two thumbs up buddy!!!

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
This is really exciting. I think your attitude is going to push American custom kitchen sharps in the right direction.

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys!

Eamon.. Im just having way to much fun!! I love my customers, and working with the unique and different materials to create cool knives! And the cool people in the knife community, well you know, There are none better, anywhere!

When I was a boy, a wise old gentlemen told me "Find something you love to to, learn to do it well, and you will never have to work another day in your life." As a 11 year old boy that was a real, :dontknow:.. and I pondered on his words for some time.

Im happy to say. After many years, I figured out exactly what he meant. This is it, he was right and I love it! Its my passion and obsession!!

Its just such a blessing that we are so well received by you knife Knits!! :thanx:

Thanks!