Turkey Time!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fornia

Reaction score
Hope everyone has a great holiday!

Anyone doing anything special with this year's bird? With wife and family in the restaurant biz, we do our dinner on Friday (after the fools return from a full day of Black Friday shopping).

Typically I brine and then Spatchcock the bird and do it on the Big Green Egg. This year, I'm considering using a new injection product specifically invented for competition bbq circles. It's great with chicken, and they say the same thing with turkey.

Love the spatchcock method with the shorter cook time though. Here is one I did a few weeks back.

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

that looks great. i've never seen a spatchcock turkey either. i typically brine and then oven roast, and that's what i'm doing this year. 20 pounds turkey, this year, which is larger than i'm used to, but it should work just fine. i do a modification of Alton Brown's brine, with chicken stock instead of vegetable, and more all spice and salt than is called for. i also brine the bird partially frozen for a couple days, in a cooler (i check temps regularly and add ice as needed). it has always been great.

i can't wait to carve the bird, this year. i finally have a sujihiki (a kurouchi Carter in white), which should add some panache. :)

Back