• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Two Aoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRPV4

Reaction score
First one up is a massive vintage Aoto. This is at least secondhand, and the previous Japanese owner had used it for a long time. Came to me with layers and layers of biofilm.

The stone itself is hard and fine ~lvl 4. It is not thirsty at all, only requiring a splash of water. I wish I knew which exact quarry it came from, but there is no longer a sticker on the side. The excellent polish speaks for itself however, the Aoto being able to bring out a large amount of detail and produce a very even finish. It is a great pre-polisher and will show you exactly where you messed up. The sharpening experience is smooth, and I really enjoyed the edges, especially when cutting up tendinous pieces of meat. It's difficult to give a grit estimate without a particle size analyzer, but I'd say 3k+ with a large margin of error. Asking $250/£195 or equivalent.

Weight: Big boy at ~2600g
Dimensions: 220mm x 73mm x 70mm

Now for some pictures!

VID-20200928-184951.gif

~~~~~~~(okay the GIF is apparently not moving. Gdrive link here: Vintage Aoto - Google Drive)~~~~~~~

IMG_20200928_191614.jpg

IMG_20200928_204739.jpg

Last edited:
Next is a smaller one from Tamba region. Medium hardness, much muddier than the one above, but not too thirsty. It is a bit coarser too, I guess around 2k (all the disclaimers about grit estimates apply here), and the edges it gives are more aggressive with really nice bite. Sharpening feel is smooth and it is sealed on 4 sides with lacquer. Gives a decent working** kasumi, but is better as a pre-polisher setting up for finer stones. All in all, a good middle of the road Aoto.

Smaller than the above, and overall a very good economical introduction to JNat edges. Asking $80 or equivalent. I will toss in 1 or 2 nagura so you have different things to play with.

Weight: ~1500g
Dimensions: 215mm x 66mm x 45mm

Pictures are below.

IMG_20200928_220128.jpg

IMG_20200928_190127__01.jpg

IMG_20200928_204806.jpg

As an afterthought, if anyone wants to try an Omura (coarse JNat, also around 1.5kg), I'll bundle it in for an extra $30. You can see it in the background of one of the pics of the larger one. Cuts fast and scratches are much easier to remove.

Last edited:
Smaller Aoto sold, along with the Omura.

Last edited:
Back